The Haiti Initiative at UMass Boston continues and expands UMass Boston’s involvement in Haiti and in the Haitian Diaspora. The Haiti Initiative places particular emphasis on higher education, professional development, and research on Haiti and the Haitian Diaspora. It assists in the development and teaching of courses on Haiti and the Haitian Diaspora.
The Haiti Initiative comprises of the following existing activities at UMass Boston:
- The Consortium for Rebuilding and Improving of Higher Education in Haiti
- The UMass Boston/INAGHEI University Partnership
- The Mirebalais Planning Initiative
- Partners in Health, ProDev Education initiatives
The Haiti Initiative is well positioned to undertake the following future activities:
- Research on higher education in Haiti
- Research on the Haitian community in Massachusetts and in the U.S.
- Technical assistance to Haitian-serving organizations in Boston
- Technical assistance to public agencies and institutions in Haiti
- Youth leadership development and exchanges
- Visiting fellowship