Freshman Success Communities
Be part of a Freshman Success Community (FSC) for entering science majors! Make friends, meet faculty, and have a better supported and more satisfying learning experience at UMass Boston.
What are Freshman Success Communities?
They are small groups of science students who:
- Help each other navigate through a large university setting
- Enroll in the same two or three core courses grouped by academic discipline
- Receive priority enrollment in major courses
- Connect with university resources for academic support and to find research and career opportunities
- Form study groups to achieve academic excellence and finish their degrees in a shorter time period
Freshmen are currently enrolled in eight different communities:
- Pre-Med FSC – Biology, Biochemistry, and/or Chemistry majors with a Pre-Med inclination will be co-enrolled in Freshman Biology and Chemistry labs, Pre-Calculus, and a Science Gateway Seminar.
- Biology FSC – Biology majors will be co-enrolled in Freshman Biology and Chemistry labs and a Science Gateway Seminar – students select their own English and either Pre-Calculus or Calculus classes.
- Biology II FSC – Biology majors who place into College Algebra (Math 115) will be co- enrolled in Freshman Biology, a Science Gateway Seminar, Math 115 and a General Education course – students select their own English class.
- Chemistry FSC - Chemistry majors will be co-enrolled in Freshman Biology and Chemistry labs and a Science Gateway Seminar – students select their own English and either Pre-Calculus or Calculus classes.
- Computer Science FSC - Computer Science (CS) or Information Technology (IT) majors will be co-enrolled in Introduction to Computing, Math, and a Science Gateway Seminar – Students select their own English class and are strongly encouraged to take one elective course.
- EEOS FSC - EEOS majors and environmentally inclined undecided students will be co-enrolled in Introduction to Environmental Earth and Ocean Science lab and a Science Gateway Seminar - students select their freshman Biology or Chemistry.
- Biochem FSC - Biochemistry, Biology and likewise inclined undecided students will be co-enrolled in a Freshman Biology Lab and a Science Gateway Seminar - students select their own English and Math class and are strongly encouraged to take freshman Chemistry.
- Engineering FSC - Electrical and Computer Engineering students will be co-enrolled in a Science Gateway Seminar, a Calculus class, and Introduction to Electrical and Computer Engineering - students select their own English class and are encouraged to take one elective course.
How do you join?
The FSC program is closed for further enrollment for the 2012-2013 academic year. For students planning to enroll in Fall 2013, FSC spaces are limited and seats are available on a first-come-first-served basis. Students will be invited to participate in a FSC based on their choice of major and math placement exam results.
- Sign up to learn more.
- Sign up for an early freshman orientation session.
Take care of your New Student Assessment at least one week before your orientation session to be eligible for this exciting program.
- Math Placement Exam B to place into PreCalculus
- Math Placement Exam C to place into Calculus
To let us know you are interested and to obtain a sample schedule:
Contact the College of Science and Mathematics
Student Success Center
StudentSuccess@umb.edu or 617-287-4846