We encourage you to take public transportation to UMass Boston, especially during the opening weeks of the semester when traffic volume can be very high. The MBTA offers many ways to reach the university—subway, commuter rail, bus service, and “The Ride.”
UMass Boston is located less than a mile from the MBTA’s JFK/UMass Station, which serves both the Red Line (subway) and the Old Colony Line (commuter rail). Discounted passes are also available to students, through Student Life, and faculty and staff, through Human Resources.
The university runs a regular, free shuttle bus service between the JFK/UMass stop and the campus. The trip normally takes less than ten minutes.
The University of Massachusetts Boston is proud to introduce our new Shuttle Bus GPS tracking system, which puts the shuttle bus location and arrival time at your fingertips. View the buses in real time at http://umb.transloc.com/ or through the smartphone app “TransLoc Transit Visualization.” Click on the icons below to access the app store for your specific device.
NOTE: SHUTTLE SERVICE IS AVAILABLE EVERY DAY EXCEPT NEW YEAR'S, THANKSGIVING, AND CHRISTMAS DAY.
- Route 1 buses run non-stop from JFK/UMass Station to the Campus Center, weekdays only, on the following schedule:
6:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m. every 5-7 minutes
9:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m. every 10-12 minutes
6:30 a.m.-6:40 p.m. every 5-7 minutes
6:40 p.m.-10 p.m. every 10-12 minutes
- Route 2 buses stop at the Campus Center, the Massachusetts Archives, the JFK Library, the Clark Athletic Center Circle, and the university's Early Learning Center, seven days a week, on the following schedule:
8 a.m.-5:45 p.m. every 20 minutes
7:30 a.m.-7 p.m. every 20 minutes
8 a.m.- 5:45 p.m. every 20 minutes
- Route 3 buses run non-stop from the UMass Boston Bayside Lot to Lot C and the Campus Center, weekdays only during the fall and spring semesters, from 6:30 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. Buses will pick up drivers at both the Campus Center and Clark Athletic Center Circle adjacent to the Beacons Lot. Buses run every 5-7 minutes. The UMass Boston Bayside Lot closes at 11 p.m.
- Route 8 MBTA buses run daily from Kenmore Square to the campus between 5:15 am and 12:30 am. The MBTA bus stop on campus is located between the Wheatley and McCormack buildings, across the street from the Short-term Lot.
- Route 16 MBTA buses run from Forest Hills to the campus Monday through Friday during rush hour. The MBTA bus stop on campus is located between the Wheatley and McCormack buildings, across the street from the Short-term Lot.
“The Ride” offers door-to-door service for eligible people who cannot use public transit because of a physical, cognitive, or mental disability. For information, call 617.222.5123, 800.533.6282, or 617.222.5415(TTY); or email email@example.com. Drop off locations are the Campus Center circle, University Drive between the Wheatley and McCormack buildings, and the Clark Athletic Center.
MBTA Schedule Information
For more information on MBTA schedules and routes, visit the MBTA website; or call 617.222.3200, 800.392.6100, or 617.222.5146 (TTY).