Area of Expertise
American literature, Latin American literature, critical theory, and photography
PhD, University of Illinois at Chicago
BA, Northwestern University
Professional Publications & Contributions
My research focuses on literature and visual art from Latin America and the United States, and reads these in relation to the development of the global economy from the end of the nineteenth century to the beginning of the twenty-first. I have coedited two collections of essays, Literature and the Global Contemporary (Palgrave, 2017) and Literary Materialisms (Palgrave, 2013), as well as a special issue of the journal nonsite on Latin American literature and theory. I am currently at work on a monograph on literature and the ends of autonomy in the Americas (under contract with Northwestern University Press).
I also served on the Executive Committee of the Faculty Staff Union from 2018 to 2020.
Imperial Decay: Literature, Autonomy and the End of Modernization in the Americas. Under contract with Northwestern University Press.
Fulbright Fellow, University of São Paulo, Brazil, 2018.
- ENGL 454: Advanced Studies in Literature and Society: Money, Power, Art
- ENGL 377: Literature of the Americas
- ENGL 376: Literature and the Political Imagination
- ENGL 369: Post-1945 American Literature
- ENGL 202: Six American Authors
- ENGL 101: Honors Composition I
- ENGL 697: Special Topics in Literature
- ENGL 656: Contemporary American Fiction
- ENGL 621: Literary Theory Today
- ENGL 608: Introduction to Critical and Research Methods
- ENGL 602: Studies in Fiction
- ENGL 600: Studies in Criticism
Co-faculty sponsor (with Professors Matthew Brown and Scott Maisano): Literary Theory Reading Group
Founding Editor, FORMA.
Editorial Board, Mediations.