Areas of Expertise
Corporate Social Responsibility, Leadership Development, Nonprofit Management & Social Enterprise, Organizational Behavior
PhD and MS, Boston College, Carroll School of Management
MBA & MEd, University of Michigan
BA, Earlham College
Professional Publications & Contributions
Lavine consults to companies and nonprofit organizations on issues of change management, leadership development, organizational learning, and social responsibility. He has also served on the boards of numerous nonprofit organizations. Lavine has extensive experience leading nonprofit educational programs and social ventures. He has worked throughout the U.S. and Latin America and founded an award-winning leadership development initiative serving young adults from Northern Ireland. Lavine has taught management courses at the undergraduate or graduate level at Boston College, Boston University and the University of Michigan.
Marc Lavine is interested in the dynamics of social change. He explores how ideas give rise to social movements and how social movement actors frame messages to attract and retain adherents. He also examine positive deviance as a mechanism that enables social innovation. Additionally, he is interested the relationship between organizational practices and individual meaning-making at work. He considers how the social responsibility practices of organizations influence employee engagement. He also studies leadership development and the dynamics of collaborative leadership as well methods and practices to improve management education.
Member of the Academy of Management, Organizational Behavior Teaching Society, Positive Organizational Scholarship Community of Scholars; Associate Editor, Journal of Management Education, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Management Inquiry, International Public Management Journal, MOC & SIM divisions of the Academy of Management; independent consultant to companies and nonprofit organizations.
Honors and Awards
- 2014 Outstanding Reviewer Awards for MED and MOC divisions of the Academy of Management
- 2012 Paper Selected for Best Paper Proceedings, Org. Mgmt. Theory Division (OMT) Academy of Management
- 2012 Outstanding Reviewer Award for Management & Org. Cognition Division (MOC), Academy of Management
- 2010-11 Betty Diener Graduate Teaching Award, College of Management, UMass Boston
- 2008-09 Donald J. White Teaching Excellence Award, Boston College
- Management 303: Managing Organizations
- Management 650: Organizational Analysis & Skills
- Management 687: Nonprofit Management
- Executive Education: City of Boston
- Center for Collaborative Leadership: Emerging Leaders Program
- Business Administration 775: PhD Teaching Seminar