Area of Expertise
Comparative Poetics in Medieval Studies and twentieth-century avant-gardes with interests in aesthetics, sensation, phenomenology, translation, and ecology; Old English, Middle English, Icelandic Sagas; History of the English Language
PhD, English, New York University
MFA, Poetry, University of Pittsburgh
BA, English and French, Baldwin-Wallace College
Professional Publications & Contributions
- The Heat of Beowulf. Manchester University Press, 2022.
- Co-editor with Erica Weaver. Dating Beowulf: Studies in Intimacy (edited collection). Manchester University press, 2020.
Edited journal cluster
- "A Dossier on Jack Spicer’s The Holy Grail." Paideuma 46 (2019) , 3-108.
Full length poetry collection
- A Treatise on the Marvellous for Prestigious Museums (Punctum Books, 2018).
Articles and book chapters
- "The Time Mechanic and the Theater: Translation, Performativity, and Performance in the Old English of Karen Coonrod’s Judith, W.H. Auden, and Thomas Meyer." Premodern Poetry and Queer Medievalisms: Time Mechanics, ed. David Hadbawnik. De Gruyter/Medieval Institute Publications, Western Michigan University, 2022, 81-114.
- Co-author with Erica Weaver. “Don’s and Dragons: Beowulf Outside the British Academy.” Co-authored with Erica Weaver. In Bestsellers and Masterpieces: The Changing Medieval Canon, Manchester University Press, 2021, 23-48.
- "'Galahad Was Invented by American Spies': A Prefatory Note" [Introduction to Essay Cluster "A Dossier on Jack Spicer's The Holy Grail]. Paideuma 46 (2019) , 33-6.
- "'(There is never an ocean in all Grail legend)': Spicerian Utopia and The Inland Sea." Contribution to Essay Cluster "A Dossier on Jack Spicer's The Holy Grail." Paideuma 46 (2019) , 57-84.
- "Paranormal Prose: 'Para-narrative' and Ice in the Icelandic Sagas." Paranormal Encounters in Iceland: 1150-1400, ed. Ármann Jakobsson and Miriam Mayburd. De Gruyter/Medieval Institute Publications, Western Michigan University, 2019, 151-174.
- Co-authored with Erica Weaver. "Getting Intimate." In Dating Beowulf: Studies in Intimacy. Manchester. University Press, 1-28.
- "Uninhabited: Eco-Colonial Anxieties in the Icelandic Sagas." New Medieval Literatures 19 (2019), 151-204.
- "Decorate." Veer Ecology: An Ecotheory Companion. Ed. Jeffrey Jerome Cohen and Lowell Duckert. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2017. 90-105.
- Co-authored with Anna Kłosowska. "Feeling the Human with Samuel Beckett and Chrétien de Troyes." Fragments for a History of a Vanishing Humanism. Ed. Eileen A. Joy and Myra J. Seaman. Columbus: Ohio State University Press, 2016. 95-128.
- "Robin Blaser, Jack Spicer, and Arthur Brodeur: Avant-garde Poetics and the Pedagogy of Old English at Mid-Century, and a Counterfactual Critical History, or, The Importance of a Broadly Conceived English Studies Department." postmedieval: a journal of medieval cultural studies 6.2 (2015), 174-190.
- "Pyȝt: A Commentary on the Fourth Fitt of Pearl." Glossator: Practice and Theory of the Commentary 9 (2015), 61-90.
- "Human-Tongued Basilisks."" Companion Essay in L.O. Aranye Fradenburg, Staying Alive: A Survival Manual for the Liberal Arts. Brooklyn: Punctum Books, 2013. 136-61.
- "A Critical Poetics of Allure." postmedieval: a journal of medieval cultural studies 2.3 (2011): 242-266.
- "Locating Beowulf" (Introduction). In Beowulf: A Translation. Trans. Thomas Meyer. Brooklyn: Punctum Books, 2012. 5-34.
- "Auden, Translation, Betrayal: Radical Poetics and Translation from Old English." Literature Compass 8 (2011): 811-829.
- Pearl (Organism for Poetic Research, 2012)
- Picket Songs (Dispatches from the Poetry Wars, 2017)
Selected individual poems
- from RARE EARTH ELEMENTS, Blackbox Manifold 30, Summer 2023.
- from “The Book of Merlin” (i-iii). Denver Quarterly 52.1 (2017): 58-60.
- "coda for a republic in gloom," and "madrigal." No Infinite (November 2016): 31-34.
- "dictated refrain," "refrains for visiting rekjavík," and "ballad of killian and katko (take 5)." Feelings [formerly Sensation Feelings Journal] 4 (2015): n.p., online.
- "The book of Perceval." Tag 7.2.
- "Excerpts from the book of…" Pelt 3 (2014): n.p., print and online.
- "Excerpts from MS Qvi." [special Extended Feature], LIT 23 (2013): 26-37.
- "Old English Text of Jack Spicer's 'Portrait of the Artist as a Landscape, Part 1'." Kadar Koli 8 (2013): 82-83.
- ENGL 130: Vikings! Literature of Scandinavia Pre- and Postmodern
- ENGL 200: Introduction to Literary Study
- ENGL 201: Five British Authors
- ENGL 211: Introduction to Creative Writing, Poetry
- ENGL 379: Special Topics—Poetics
- ENGL 401: The Medieval Period
- ENGL 440: History of the English Language
- ENGL 465: Ornament (Advanced Studies in Literature and Culture)
- ENGL 631: Reading Old English Poetry
- ENGL 600: Avant-Gardes: Texts, Theories, Communities (Studies in Criticism)
- ENGL 631: Post/Medieval Poetics
- ENGL 601: Poetry and Poetics of the Berkeley Renaissance (Studies in Poetry)
- ENGL 631: Icelandic Sagas
Editorial contributions and Professional Service
- Co-Founder, with Ada Smailbegović and Rachel Wilson, Organism for Poetic Research
- Co-Founding Editor, with Ada Smailbegović and Rachel Wilson, Pelt
- Co-organizer with Donna Beth Ellard, Inaugural IONA (Islands of the North Atlantic) Conference, University of Denver, 2016