Faculty & Staff Directory
Title: Professor U of M
Areas of Expertise
Evolution and Ecology of Marine Invertebrates
PhD, Harvard University, 1987 (Biology).
BA summa cum laude University of Massachusetts Boston, 1980 (Biology).
Professional Publications & Contributions
We are exploring the ecology and evolution of marine organisms to determine the forces that control the origin and maintenance of biodiversity in the oceans and identify reasonable conservation strategies. Current projects include:
- Experimental studies on the forces that shape patterns of diversity in the deep sea.
- Population genetic analyses of shallow and deep water organisms to investigate dispersal, gene flow, population differentiation and speciation.
- Exploring the relative importance of local and regional processes in controlling the species richness of subtidal rock wall and coral reef communities.
- The influence of wave energy on the biology, ecology and evolution of intertidal organisms.
- Theoretical metapopulation models of patch dynamics.