Areas of Expertise
Social Innovation, Social Entrepreneurship, Hybrid Organizations, Institutional Entrepreneurship
PhD, McGill University (Montreal, Canada)
Masters in Planning, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Massachusetts, USA)
Bachelors Degree, Universidad Autonoma de Madrid (Madrid, Spain)
Professional Publications & Contributions
- Dorado, S. (2013). Small groups as context for institutional entrepreneurship: An exploration of the emergence of commercial microfinance in Bolivia. Organization Studies, 34 (4): 533-557.
- Dorado, S. and M. Ventresca. (2013). Crescive entrepreneurship in complex social problems: Institutional conditions for entrepreneurial engagement. Journal of Business Venturing, 28: 69-82.
- Dorado, S. and D. Shaffer. (2011). Governance among Confounding Logics: The Case of DePaul Industries. Journal of Social Entrepreneurship, 2(1): 27–5.
- Battilana, J. and S. Dorado. (2010) Organization building amid multiple institutional logics: The case of commercial microfinance organizations." Academy of Management Journal, 53:6: 1419-1440.
- Dorado, S. D.E. Giles Jr., & T. Welch. (2009) Delegation of coordination and outcomes in cross-sector partnerships: The case of service learning partnerships. Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 38, 3: 368-391.
- Dorado, S. (2006). Social entrepreneurial ventures: Different values so different process of creation, Journal of Development Entrepreneurship, 11, 4: 319-343.
- Dorado, S. and R. Molz. (2005). Board of Directors and Industry Life Cycle: The Case of Microfinance organizations in Bolivia. Journal of Development Entrepreneurship. 10, 2: 99-121.
- Dorado, S. (2005). Institutional Entrepreneurship, partaking, and convening. Organization Studies, 26, 3: 383-413.
- Dorado, S. and D.E. Giles Jr. (2004). Service-Learning partnerships paths of engagement. Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning, 11, 1: 25-37.
- Dorado, S. and P. Vaz. (2003). Conveners as champions of collaboration in the public sector: A case from South Africa. Public Administration and Development 23, 141-150.
- Dorado, S. and R. Molz. (1998). Privatization: The Core Theories and Missing Middle. International Review of Administrative Science, 64:4:583-609.
- Global Fulbright for research in Argentina and South Africa (2019/2020)
- Carolyn Dexter Award to the Best International Paper, Academy of Management Conference (2010)
- Radcliffe College/ Harvard, USA. Radcliffe Public Policy Fellow (1998, 99)
- La Caixa, Spain. Scholarship to conduct post-graduate studies in United States (1991–93)
Strategy, Tackling Grand Social and Environmental Challenges, Business in Society, Entrepreneurship, Business Ethics.
Social entrepreneurship (in the areas of employment and poverty alleviation). Grassroots capitalism
- Member Board of Directors: The DPI Group
- Senior Editor Organization Studies
- Guest Co-Editor. Research in the Sociology of Organizations. Topic: Big picture approaches to the impact of social innovations
- Guest Co-Editor. Journal of Management Studies. Special Issue Beyond Hybridity: Addressing complex social and environmental problems through multi-level processes
- Guest Co-Editor. Journal of Business Ethics. Special theme issue. Abilities and ableism as ethical dilemmas of organizing
- Member of the advisory board of Waterloo Institute for Social Innovation and Resilience (WISIR)
- Member Academy of Management