Expand Your Studies
How To Apply/Declare
Current Undergraduate Students: Declare or change your minor by completing an Undergraduate Program Add/Change form.
Prospective Undergraduate Students: Apply for admission to UMass Boston by completing an application. Start by reviewing the first-year and transfer application pages for important information about requirements, deadlines, and application status checks. Use the links below to apply:
Foundational Courses (9 Credits)
Take three courses from below.
- SPAN 230 - Spanish Composition and Conversation I 3 Credit(s) OR
- SPAN 280 - Spanish for Heritage Speakers 3 Credit(s)
- SPAN 301 - Adv Rdg,Wrtg &Spkng 3 Credit(s) OR
- SPAN 289 - Writing for Heritage Speakers of Spanish 3 Credit(s)
- SPAN 304 - Spanish for Majors and Minors 3 Credit(s)
Advanced Courses and Latin American Studies Course (9 Credits)
Take three courses from the list below. Only ONE course may be a LATAM course.
- SPAN 316 - Advanced Spanish Grammar 3 Credit(s)
- SPAN 317 - Introduction to Translation Studies (Spanish/English) 3 Credit(s)
- SPAN 320 - Varieties of Spanish in the Americas 3 Credit(s)
- SPAN 333 - Intermediate Translation Spanish/English 3 Credit(s)
- SPAN 362 - Spanish-American Short Story 3 Credit(s)
- SPAN 364 - Spanish-American Essay 3 Credit(s)
- LATAM 360 - Language and Power in the Americas 3 Credit(s)
Complete 18 credits from six courses, including three foundational courses and three advanced-level courses. Please note: Students in this minor must also demonstrate intermediate proficiency in Spanish. Study abroad is strongly encouraged.
Pass/fail: No more than one course taken pass/fail may be applied toward the minor.
Residency: At least three courses for the minor must be completed at UMass Boston.
Latin American and Iberian Studies Department
McCormack Hall, 4th Floor, Room 618
Latin American & Iberian Studies
Learn more about UMass Boston's Latin American & Iberian Studies department, our research, and our faculty.Explore the Department of Latin American & Iberian Studies
College of Liberal Arts
Learn more about the faculty, research, and programs that make up our College of Liberal Arts.Explore the College of Liberal Arts