- Institute for Asian American Studies
Research, Education, and Community Building
The Institute for Asian American Studies at UMass Boston conducts community-based research on Asian American issues; provides data and education about Asian Americans to policymakers, service providers, educators and students, foundations, the media and community groups; and contributes to the success of Asian American students and the enrichment of Asian American studies on campus.
The Institute for Asian American Studies staff are currently working a hybrid model—both in-person and remote. Please email us individually or at our departmental email address below to contact us or schedule an appointment. Thank you.
Census Data on Asian Americans in MA
View data on Asian Americans in MA from the 2020 Decennial Census and recent American Community Surveys. Tables are available on our U.S. Census page, or download our full report.
- New tables with data from the 2020 Decennial Census are available, including Asian American subgroup data for Massachusetts and selected cities. Please see our 2020 Decennial Census webpage.
- See the Fall 2023 edition of our e-newsletter.
- The interviews from the Chinese Laundries in Massachusetts Oral History Project are now available to read in an e-book on ScholarWorks. Learn what life was like for Chinese Americans who owned laundries from the 1930s on.
- IAAS has been working with the Asian Business Empowerment Council to learn more about and better serve Asian-owned businesses in MA. Watch the webinar, Understanding the Asian Business Landscape in the Commonwealth featuring data collected by Nicole Filler.