Preparing for an Aging Society through Research, Public Service, and Education
The Gerontology Institute carries out basic and applied social and economic research on aging and engages in public education on aging policy issues, with an emphasis in these four areas:
- income security
- health (including long-term care)
- productive aging (including transportation)
- basic social and demographic research on aging
The Gerontology Institute includes three centers:
- The Pension Action Center offers counseling for citizens on their pension rights.
- The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) provides lifelong learning, trips, and social activities for those over age 50.
- The Center for Social and Demographic Research on Aging conducts applied research aimed at addressing the wellbeing of New England's older residents.
UMass Boston, LeadingAge Establish New LTSS Research Center
The Gerontology Institute and LeadingAge are joining forces to create the country’s first center combining the resources of applied and academic researchers focused on long-term services and supports.