Sizable UMass Boston Gerontology Contingent to Participate in National Conference
UMass Boston Gerontology faculty, students, and staff will deliver more than 60 presentations and posters at the upcoming 2023 annual scientific meeting of the Gerontological Society of America.
The meeting takes place November 8-12 in Tampa, Florida.
“This is great representation from our department,” says Edward Alan Miller, PhD, gerontology chair, “not to mention from our alumni, who will have a large presence at the meeting as well.”
UMass Boston gerontology faculty, students, and alumni also will be honored with awards at the conference, including:
- Bei Wu, MS ‘97, PhD ‘00, Maxwell A. Pollack Award for Productive Aging.
- Taylor Jansen, PhD ‘23, Emerging Scholar and Professional Organization award for her poster, “Intersection of Race and Place-based Disparities Among Older Adults 65+ in Mississippi.”
- Nina Silverstein, PhD, professor emerita, Academy for Gerontology in Higher Education Mildred Seltzer Distinguished Service Honor.
- Marc Cohen, PhD, co-director of LeadingAge LTSS Center @UMass Boston, named a GSA Fellow in the Social Research, Policy, and Practice
- Janelle Fassi, doctoral student and junior leader of Emerging Scholar and Professional Organization, Social Research, Policy, and Practice Travel Award
- Yan-Ju Su, doctoral student and junior leader of Emerging Scholar and Professional Organization, Academy for Gerontology in Higher Education James McKenney Travel Award
- Shayna Gleason, doctoral student, Social Research, Policy, and Practice Travel Award
- Jeein Jang, doctoral student, Behavioral Health and Social Sciences Travel Award