Plan Your Education
How to Apply
Applicants must meet general graduate admission requirements in addition to the following program-specific requirements:
The Early Childhood Admissions Committee will recommend for admissions those applicants who present evidence of their ability to do post master’s work with distinction.
Such evidence will include:
- A statement of purpose, clearly explaining the applicant’s reasons for pursing more graduate study in the field of early childhood education and answering these questions:
- What excites you about this program?
- How does it fit into your professional goals?
- How will your participation in this program impact the lives of children and families?
- If you wish to apply for the Early Educator Leadership Fellowship, please indicate your interest in this statement.
- Current Resume and Job Description to clarify past and present roles as an early childhood educator, please upload as one document.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Writing Sample: Write an original, 4-5 page doubled-spaced academic essay about an issue/topic in early education that you want to explore in this graduate program. Include a bibliography of the research/literature that has informed your interest in this problem.
Deadlines & Cost
Deadlines: July 1 for fall
Application Fee: The nonrefundable application fee is $75. UMass Boston alumni and current students that plan to complete degree requirements prior to graduate enrollment can submit the application without paying the application fee.
Program Cost Information: Bursar’s website; some fellowships available
Required Courses (12 Credits)
- ECHD 701 - Early Education and Care Policy and Practice 3 Credit(s)
- ECHD 702 - Advanced Child Development and Early Learning 3 Credit(s)
- ECHD 703 - Translating Early Education Research into Practice 3 Credit(s)
- ECHD 704 - Leadership and Change in Early Education and Care 3 Credit(s)
Complete twelve credits from four required courses.
Statute of limitations: Three years.
Graduate Program Director Anne Douglass
anne.douglass [at] umb.edu
Curriculum & Instruction
Learn more about UMass Boston's Curriculum & Instruction department, our research, and our faculty.Explore the Department of Curriculum & Instruction
College of Education & Human Development
Learn more about the faculty, research, and programs that make up our College of Education & Human Development.Explore College of Education & Human Development