Plan Your Education
How to Apply
Apply for Admission
Please review the first-year and transfer apply pages for important information about application requirements, deadlines, and application status check.
Financing Your Education
Become a Beacon and pursue your passion in UMass Boston’s diverse, supportive environment. Many students across our 200+ undergraduate and graduate programs receive financial aid—providing access to an education that’s exceptional and affordable. Click below to learn more about financial aid opportunities and deadlines.
Deadlines & Cost
For fall semester admission, applications submitted by the "priority deadline" of March 1 are given priority and will be notified of a decision by the end of April. Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis through July 1.
For spring semester admission, the application deadline is December 1. Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis through December.
Cost & Aid
For additional information regarding tuition and fees, please visit the Bursar’s Office or send an email to Bursar@umb.edu.
Complete at least 42 credits from 14 courses including four introductory courses, six required 200 and 300-level courses, two required mathematics courses, and two upper-level physics electives.
GPA: A minimum GPA of 2.0 is required for all major courses.
Pass/fail: No courses taken pass/fail beyond the introductory level may be applied toward the major.
Residency: At least five physics courses for the major must be completed at UMass Boston.
Introductory Courses (12 Credits)
- PHYSIC 113 - Fundamentals of Physics I 4 Credit(s)
- PHYSIC 114 - Fundamentals of Physics II 4 Credit(s)
- PHYSIC 181 - Physics Laboratory I 2 Credit(s)
- PHYSIC 182 - Physics Laboratory II 2 Credit(s)
Required 200 and 300-Level Courses (18 Credits)
- PHYSIC 211 - Introduction to Contemporary Physics 3 Credit(s)
- PHYSIC 214 - Thermodynamics 3 Credit(s)
- PHYSIC 281 - Physical Laboratory I 3 Credit(s)
- PHYSIC 312 - Mechanics 3 Credit(s)
- PHYSIC 321 - Theory of Electricity and Magnetism I 3 Credit(s)
- PHYSIC 382 - Intermediate Laboratory 3 Credit(s)
Required Mathematics Courses (6 to 7 Credits)
Take two courses from the list below.
- MATH 240 - Multivariable Calculus 3 Credit(s)
- MATH 242 - Multivariable and Vector Calculus 4 Credit(s)
- MATH 270 - Applied Ordinary Differential Equations 3 Credit(s)
Upper-Level Electives (6 to 8 Credits)
Take two additional PHYSIC courses at the 300-level or higher.
Students may complete up to two mathematics or cognate science courses in place of upper-level electives with prior approval from the department.
Department of Physics
University of Massachusetts Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd.
Boston, MA 02125 -3393