UMass Boston

DACA & Undocumented

The University of Massachusetts Boston is the most diverse university in New England and offers a welcoming college community. We encourage Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) and undocumented students to apply for admission to the university.

Deferred Action Qualifications

In accordance with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), you are eligible for deferred action status if you meet all of the following criteria:

  • was under the age of 31 as of June 15, 2012;
  • came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
  • has continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
  • was physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making the request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;
  • entered without inspection before June 15, 2012, or your lawful immigration status expired as of June 15, 2012;
  • is currently in school, has graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, has obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or is an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
  • has not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, three or more other misdemeanors, and does not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.

For more information regarding deferred action, please visit the Department of Homeland Security, frequently asked questions page.

In-State Tuition Benefit

In November 2012, the governor of Massachusetts announced that students who qualify for Deferred Action Childhood Arrivals program would be eligible for in-state tuition and fees. The requirements for applying for Deferred Action include the submissions of Form I-765, the Application for Employment Authorization. Once approved, you must submit the following documents with your application to be eligible for in-state tuition and fees at UMass Boston:

  • Employment Authorization Documentation (also known as a work permit).
  • I-797, Notice of Action

You must also meet Massachusetts residency requirements to be eligible for in-state tuition.

Financing Your Education

U.S. Citizens or non-citizens authorized by the federal government to live and work in the United States (i.e. students that have been granted deferred action status) are eligible for the following non-need-based, merit scholarships:

DACA and undocumented students are not eligible for other state, federal, or institutional financial aid that is need-based. You are encouraged to seek alternative financing options such as external scholarships and the university’s in-house payment plan.   


You are encouraged to apply online using either the Common Application or UMass Boston’s online application. When completing the application DACA students should indicate that they are a non-U.S. citizen and a Massachusetts resident.

Contact Us

Contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions by phone or email so we can assist you with the process. Admissions Counselors are also available for individual appointments throughout the college application process.