The Edward J. Collins, Jr. Center for Public Management in the McCormack Graduate School of Policy and Global Studies at the University of Massachusetts Boston is dedicated to improving efficiency, effectiveness, governance, and accountability at all levels of government, with a particular focus on state and local government. The Center’s aim is to enable public entities to provide high quality services to the people they serve on a sustainable basis.
Consultant services include, but are not limited to, the list below. However, if you have a service need not identified here, we will strive to find a qualified team to assist you.
- Budget and Financial Assistance
- Charter Change Assistance and Government Study Committee Facilitation
- Executive Recruitment
- Management and Operational Reviews
- Performance Management
- Regionalization and Collaboration
- Strategic Planning and Community Involvement
- Training and Education
- Capital Improvement Plan Development
- Financial and Budget Forecasting
- Financial Management Policies Development
- Budget Transparency and Improvements
- Charter revisions or amendments
- Special Acts
- Study Committee facilitation
- Public presentations
- Transition services
- Administrative code development/revisions
- Analyses of departmental operations
- Compensation and classification studies
- Human resource audits and policy recommendations
- Information technology assessments
- Public safety operations and organizational reviews
- System design and implementation
- Data and analytical support
- Government Analytics Program (GAP)
- New England StatNet
- City/Town – School collaboration assistance
- Development of inter-municipal agreements
- Feasibility studies for shared services
- Community needs assessment
- Economic development research and planning
- Meeting facilitation
- Strategic planning
- Trends analyses
- • Customized professional development
- • Leadership coaching
- • Management, supervisory, and leadership training
- • Online, six-module course: Performance Management for Governments and Nonprofits
Several key characteristics exemplify of the approach taken by the Collins Center project team.
- The consulting team includes service area specialists who have in-depth expertise in municipal finance, human resources, public works, planning and economic development, public safety, parks and recreation, and nearly every area of municipal service delivery, in addition to generalists.
- Projects are approached with a firm grounding in analytical methodology. Clients receive detailed analyses of their specific issues. Issues and impacts are identified and analyzed in as much detail as possible to ensure that recommendations can be implemented and that clients can understand the reason for change.
- Projects are characterized by extensive interaction between consultants and client staff, management, and policymakers.
Check out our publications page for reports from recent projects.
Helping Government Work Better
This brochure provides a quick tour through some of the work that the Center has done. (PDF)
Edward J. Collins, Jr. Center for Public Management
University of Massachusetts Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd.
Giving to UMass Boston
Your gift to the Dean’s Innovation Fund will help our graduate school respond to creative opportunities as they arise and seed promising initiatives.