Early Childhood Fellowship Program
Bachelor’s Degree in Early Care and Education in Inclusive Settings (EECIS)
The Early Childhood Fellowship program at UMass Boston is supported by a three-year Growing the Workforce grant from the City of Boston and is funded by the American Rescue Plan Act.
What is the Early Childhood Fellowship?
The University of Massachusetts Boston’s Institute for Early Education Leadership and Innovation is starting a three-year (2023-2025) Early Childhood Education Fellowship in our Early Care and Education Bachelor’s Degree program! The Early Childhood Fellowship program creates a new pathway to bachelor’s degrees with no student loan debt. This Fellowship is for experienced educators seeking to enhance teaching and leadership skills as well as those who are new to the early childhood profession. Program graduates are equipped to teach and lead in early care and education settings and to contribute to high-quality, equitable early childhood programs and systems.
We are recruiting educators/students looking to complete their Bachelor's degree through a cohort program that offers many kinds of support and resources to facilitate educators’ learning and success in the BA program. The fellowship will cover the cost of tuition and fees. All participants will receive stipends to support college supplies, transportation, and/or child care while attending college. In addition, fellows will receive academic advising, career orientation, leadership development, and coaching for their teaching practices.
We are looking to identify 50 students who have completed 60 credits or more of undergraduate coursework and are available to work in Boston as an Early Childhood Educator (center, Head Start, family child care, school) upon program completion. We will prioritize applicants who are interested in working with Infants and Toddlers because this is an area of greatest need. Through this Early Childhood Fellowship program, the Institute for Early Education Leadership and Innovation will commit to helping all students thrive and succeed in their college journey.
Who is eligible to apply for the Early Childhood Fellowship?
- Early educators or those seeking to enter the field who hold at least 60 hours of college credit from UMass Boston or at least 60 hours of transferable credit from another school.
- Early educators or those seeking to enter the field who have been accepted to and who have enrolled as undergraduate students in early education at UMass Boston by the summer of 2023.
- Early educators or those seeking to enter the field who can commit to working as an early educator in the city of Boston after graduating with their bachelor’s degree in early education.
- Educators interested in working with Infants and Toddlers will be prioritized in the Fellowship program.
What do Early Childhood Fellows receive?
- Financial support to cover the cost of tuition and all fees (students are allowed to use financial aid and access the Massachusetts ECE Scholarship).
- Academic support, including advising, mentoring, and individualized tutoring.
- College supplies, including a chromebook.
- A stipend each semester to pay for expenses incurred to attend school, such as transportation and childcare.
What are the requirements of Early Childhood Fellows?
- Fellows must be fully accepted at UMass Boston before they begin.
- Fellows must be able to take courses offered in person on the UMass Boston campus, and courses offered hybrid and online.
- Fellows must be able to complete their bachelor’s degree by December 2025.
- Fellows must agree to work in the City of Boston as an Early Childhood Provider after graduation from the program.
How to apply for the Fellowship:
- Once invited to apply to the Fellowship, you should begin your application for admissions with UMass Boston. If you have college credit from another institution, request to receive copies of your official transcripts as soon as possible.
- Complete your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) for 2023-24.
- Early Childhood Fellows will be notified of their acceptance in or before May 2023
- Fellowship Application form: https://forms.gle/s9NKHcaU8tsqMeMA9
For additional information, please email Early Childhood Fellowship Co-Director Deb Johnston-Malden
Institute for Early Education Leadership and Innovation
150 Mt. Vernon St.
Boston, MA 02125-3393