Getting your Course Ready for the New Semester
- Blackboard course shells are automatically generated for every course listed in WISER, at least 2 months before the semester starts.
- Courses open for students 3 days prior to the WISER class start date and remain open for 28 days after the end date.
- An instructor must be listed as PI in WISER for their course to appear on their Blackboard account.
Ready Course Checklist
A list of steps to follow to get your course ready for the start of the semester:
- Complete the Course Content Request Form to reuse content from a previous Blackboard course (expect at least 2 business days for completion). You are also welcome to copy existing content yourself.
- Follow the UMass Boston template. Your Blackboard course comes with a course template that helps maintain consistency in navigation for students and helps you organize your learning materials and activities.
- Post your updated and accessible syllabus in .pdf and .docx format to help your students get oriented right away.
- Verify that all documents in the course are up to date and accessible. Hide content you are not using.
- Check all web links to ensure they are active, correct, and set to open in a new window. Use the direct links (permalinks) when pointing to digital resources through UMBrella, the library repository.
- Use the Date Management tool to reset all dates for the current semester at once.
- Double check Grade Center calculations and delete duplicate columns.
- If you use Zoom, schedule your meetings through the Zoom link integrated on the Blackboard course menu.
- Consider using the Attendance tool for your classroom sessions or to automate reporting of live meetings in Collaborate Ultra.
- Please use Chrome or Firefox with Blackboard and remind your students to do the same. Blackboard works best in these browsers.
- Consider using Open Educational Resources (OER) or low cost materials as a way to reduce the cost of education for our students.
- Review the Resources posted on this page for more useful tips.