We encourage you to take public transportation to UMass Boston, especially during the opening weeks of the semester when traffic volume can be very high. The MBTA offers many ways to reach the university—subway, commuter rail, bus service, and “The Ride.”
The University of Massachusetts Boston is located less than a mile from the MBTA’s JFK/UMass Station, which serves both the Red Line (subway) and the Old Colony Line (commuter rail). Discounted passes are also available to students, through Student Life, and faculty and staff, through Human Resources.
The university runs a regular, free shuttle bus service between the JFK/UMass stop and the campus. The trip normally takes less than ten minutes.
NOTE: SHUTTLE SERVICE IS AVAILABLE EVERY DAY EXCEPT NEW YEAR'S, THANKSGIVING, AND CHRISTMAS DAY.
- Route 1 buses run non-stop from the JFK/UMass Station to the Campus Center, weekdays only, on the following schedule:
|Regular Schedule||6:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m. every 5-7 minutes
9:30 p.m.-10:30 p.m. every 10-12 minutes
|6:30 a.m.-6:40 p.m. every 5-7 minutes
6:40 p.m.-10 p.m. every 10-12 minutes
- The Route 2 bus runs from the JFK/UMass Station to the Clark Athletic Center, the Massachusetts Archives, and the JFK Library on the following schedule: (Note: The bus makes the Campus Center Stop on the weekends.)
|Regular Schedule||8 a.m.-5:45 p.m. every 20 minutes||7:30 a.m.-7 p.m. every 20 minutes||
8 a.m.- 5:45 p.m. every 20 minutes
- Route 3 buses run from the UMass Boston Bayside Lot to the Clark Athletic Center and the Campus Center, weekdays only, starting at 6:30 a.m. Buses will pick up riders at both the Campus Center and the Clark Athletic Center. If drivers are parked at 265 Mt. Vernon Street, the Route 3 shuttle will pick them up. Route 3 buses run every 5-7 minutes.
|Regular Schedule||6:30 a.m.-10:30 p.m. every 5-7 minutes|
- Route 8 MBTA buses run daily from Kenmore Square to the temporary busway between the Campus Center and Wheatley Hall from 5:15 a.m. to 12:30 a.m.
- Route 16 MBTA buses run from Forest Hills to the temporary busway between the Campus Center and Wheatley Hall on Monday through Friday during peak commuting hours.
“The Ride” offers door-to-door service for eligible people who cannot use public transit because of a physical, cognitive, or mental disability. For information, call 617.222.5123, 800.533.6282, or 617.222.5415 (TTY); or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Drop-off locations are the Campus Center and the Clark Athletic Center.
MBTA Schedule Information
For more information on MBTA schedules and routes, visit the MBTA website; or call 617.222.3200, 800.392.6100, or 617.222.5146 (TTY).