Expand Your Studies
How to Declare/Apply
Current Undergraduate Students: Declare or change your minor by completing an Undergraduate Program Add/Change form. Please note: Biotechnology majors may not minor in chemistry.
Prospective Undergraduate Students: Apply for admission to UMass Boston by completing an application. Start by reviewing the first-year and transfer application pages for important information about requirements, deadlines, and application status checks. Use the links below to apply:
Required Courses (10 Credits)
- CHEM 115 - Chemical Principles I Lecture 3 Credit(s)
- CHEM 116 - Chemical Principles II Lecture 3 Credit(s)
- CHEM 117 - Chemical Principles I Laboratory 2 Credit(s)
- CHEM 118 - Chemical Principles II Laboratory 2 Credit(s)
Take three additional lecture courses and three additional laboratory courses. At least two of the lecture courses and at least two of the laboratory courses must be 300-level or higher.
- CHEM 251 - Organic Chemistry I Lecture 3 Credit(s)
- CHEM 252 - Organic Chemistry II Lecture 3 Credit(s)
- CHEM 311 - Analytical Chemistry 4 Credit(s)
- CHEM 312 - Physical Chemistry 4 Credit(s)
- CHEM 369 - Chemical Structure 4 Credit(s)
- CHEM 370 - Inorganic Chemistry 4 Credit(s)
- CHEM 471 - Introduction to Green Chemistry 3 Credit(s)
- BIOCHM 383 - Biochemistry I 3 Credit(s)
- BIOCHM 384 - Biochemistry II 3 Credit(s)
- CHEM 255 - Organic Chemistry I Laboratory 2 Credit(s)
- CHEM 256 - Organic Chemistry II Laboratory 2 Credit(s)
- CHEM 313 - Analytical Chemistry Laboratory 2 Credit(s)
- CHEM 314 - Physical Chemistry Laboratory 2 Credit(s)
- CHEM 351 - Organic Qualitative Analysis 3 Credit(s)
- CHEM 361 - Analytical Instrumentation 4 Credit(s)
- CHEM 371 - Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory 2 Credit(s)
- CHEM 379 - Chemical Structure Lab 2 Credit(s)
- CHEM 481 - Advanced Laboratory in Chemistry I 1-4 Credit(s)
- CHEM 482 - Advanced Laboratory in Chemistry II 1-4 Credit(s)
- BIOCHM 385 - Biochemistry Lab I 3 Credit(s)
- BIOCHM 386 - Biochemistry Lab II 3 Credit(s)
Complete 25 to 31 credits from ten courses, including four required courses and six elective lecture and lab courses.
GPA: Minimum 2.0 in courses for the minor.
Pass/fail: No more than one course taken pass/fail may be applied to the minor and the course must be below the 300-level.
Residency: At least twelve credits taken for the minor must be completed at UMass Boston.
Department of Chemistry
University Hall 3230
chemistry [@] umb.edu
Learn more about UMass Boston's Chemistry department, our research, and our faculty.Explore the Department of Chemistry
College of Science & Mathematics
Learn more about the faculty, research, and programs that make up our College of Science and Mathematics.Explore Now