Student Success Scholars Program
The Student Success Scholars program at UMass Boston is a federally funded TRIO program that holistically supports approximately 500 multilingual, culturally, ethnically and racially diverse students. We work together with students to increase academic achievement by providing culturally sustainable advising and creating belonging for students in the program. We do this by getting to know students' interests, experiences, and understanding that the social capital students bring, are strengths and not barriers to their success.
The mission of the Student Success Scholars Program is to retain and graduate, within four- six years, students who are first-generation, students of color, multilingual, and students with disabilities.
Services and Programs
UMass Boston SSS program support offered to all participants:
- Academic advising, financial-aid, and personal counseling
- Referral to appropriate on- and off-campus resources
- Advocacy and coordination of institutional efforts
- Supplemental instruction, extended orientation, and workshops designed to enhance academic achievement
- Tutoring and mentoring for academic and career support
Student Support Services participants consistently outperform all first year students at the university in key performance indicators. In the most recent year for which complete data were available:
- 92% of participants were in Good Academic Standing (2.0 or higher) during the 2018-2019 academic year.
- 91% of participants either graduated or were retained in 2018-19.
- 62% of the 2014 cohort graduated within six years (by 2020) compared to 49% of all first-time first year students of the same cohort.
Eligibility & Application
Services are available to individuals who:
- Are first generation college students (whose parents did not obtain a minimum of a bachelors degree),
- Are low-income as determined by Federal Guidelines, or
- Individuals with documented physical, learning or psychiatric/emotional disabilities.
To receive assistance, students must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a program of postsecondary education at UMass Boston.
The SSS program does periodically hire SSS students, and people who have experience working in similar programs, as Peer Advisors, Tutors, or Study Group Facilitators.
Welcome to the Student Success Scholars/ TRIO community! Drop-in advising hours are Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays 10am-12pm;Tuesdays 9am-11am and Thursdays 1pm-3pm. Please email your advisor to schedule an individual appointment by clicking on the name below.
Program Interim Director
If you have a question or want to make a comment, email Student Support Services
Student Support Services
Campus Center, 1st Floor, Room 1100
University of Massachusetts Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd. Boston, MA 02125-3393
Phone: 617-287-5820 Fax: 617-287-5828