Online Learning Hub
Welcome to IT's Online Learning Hub for Students, a central place to find info about all the tools and services you may need to learn remotely or online.
What Equipment Do I Need to be Successful in my course for the Summer and Fall 2021 Semester?
- A laptop or a desktop computer - preferably less than 4 years old. [What are my options if I do not have a computer? - You can borrow a Chromebook by following this link -https://www.umb.edu/chromebookloan - Once you have your Chromebook, visit: https://www.umb.edu/it/cloudpc and click on 'Start CloudPc'
- A Pc (Windows) or a Mac (OS) computer with the latest version of the operating system.
- Reliable Internet Access [What are my options if I do not have reliable internet access]
- A few Accessories - Webcam, Speakers - Most all laptops come with a Webcam and Speakers
We offer 24 x 7 x 365 support for questions relating to Blackboard and related tools. Have a question - Call – 1-855-789-7053 or visit: http://umb.echelp.org
VoiceThread - VoiceThread is multimedia software accessible from within Blackboard that your instructor may use to record lectures and videos, create assignments, and more. You may be asked to listen to a weekly lecture, watch a video, complete an assignment, or participate in an audio/video discussion. Learn how to use VoiceThread from within Blackboard to participate in an assignment.
Zoom -- a video conferencing collaboration tool that faculty use for classes, meetings, remote presentations, faculty/student meetings, guest lecturer presentations, webinar hosting, virtual classrooms, and virtual office hours, etc. Learn More
- All UMass Boston Students can now obtain a free UMass Boston Pro Zoom License by visiting the following link: https://umassboston.zoom.us/
- Learn more about the Zoom Meeting Tool by Visiting the Zoom for Students website.
Students do NOT need to purchase a Zoom license to participate in Zoom sessions.
We are very pleased to announce LinkedIn Learning (formerly lynda.com) as UMass Boston’s new online resource available to all students, faculty, and staff! LinkedIn Learning provides thousands of online courses curated based on the career interests, role, or career path of the learner. It can be a highly personalized learning experience. Each training topic is delivered in easy-to-manage 2 to 5-minute segments. These video-based tutorials are taught by industry experts and are available 24/7 for convenient, self-paced learning.
Benefits to using LinkedIn Learning include:
- Learn at your own pace any time of day or night
- The option to watch complete courses or short videos as you need them
- Up-to-date content to keep skills current or learn new ones
- Tutorials taught by recognized industry experts
- Many courses have practice exercises to help you learn
- Closed captioning and searchable, time-coded transcripts
- New courses added every week
NOTE: Log in with your umb.edu username and password. You will be asked to link your new LinkedIn Learning account with your existing LinkedIn account (if you have one). This is optional, and you can access LinkedIn Learning either way. More info on this will be offered after login.