BeaconCard (UMass Boston ID)
- We will no longer be requiring stickers on cards. We have other technology in place to determine active student status.
Obtain your BeaconCard in McCormack Hall, 2nd Fl, Room 615 -
then manage it on the BeaconCard Account Management site
What you need to get a BeaconCard:
- Be a registered student or employee at UMass Boston
- Have a valid picture ID ready (license, passport, etc) or 3 printed proofs of address (utility bills, university correspondence, etc)
What if the university misspelled my name?
- Please go to the One Stop on the Campus Center Upper Level to get it corrected before obtaining your BeaconCard.
What can I do with my UMass Boston BeaconCard?
- Access to rooms to which you have been authorized - see Access section below
- Dining Commons access if you have purchased a Meal Plan (purchase, manage, or see balances here)
- Make purchases and pay fees at any location accepting Beacon Bucks which you can add at BeaconCard.umb.edu
What benefits can I get with my UMass Boston BeaconCard?
For students who have paid tuition and associated fees, the following benefits are available:
- Free student membership to the Beacon Fitness Center
- Free admission to the JFK Museum Library, EMK Institute, Mass. Archives
- Discounted passes and tickets to movies, museums, and more in the Student Activities and Leadership Office
- Citywide student discounts for theatre tickets, concerts, etc.
Staff members are not eligible for these benefits.
An initial BeaconCard is provided to all students if billed via the student bill. If not, the student will have to pay onsite.
For all lost cards, there is an additional replacement of $25. Please make sure you have Beacon Bucks to pay the fee.
Please take proper care of your BeaconCard to prolong its use and avoid replacement fees.
- Do not punch holes in the card.
- Do not bend card (e.g., in back pocket), as it contains a chip which may be damaged.
- Do not expose card to magnets.
The BeaconCard is an identification card; please carry it with you at all times and do not allow others to borrow it. Possession of a borrowed, false, or altered ID is a serious offense, which will subject the bearer to disciplinary action.
If you have lost your BeaconCard, please visit the BeaconCard Office immediately. If you cannot go immediately, please use the BeaconCard Account Management site to deactivate your card so no one else can use it. Select Deactivate Your BeaconCard under the Account Management menu on the left.
If you are planning to have a large group of students obtain cards as part of an orientation or otherwise, please email Rita Haidul-Campbell at least 3 business days in advance with the list of names and ID numbers and the date/time you are requesting to obtain cards for the group.
Your BeaconCard can be activated with permissions that grant you card access to spaces around campus that are equipped with card readers.
Have the Director (or designee) of your department send an approval authorization to email@example.com which includes:
Full legal name
Student or Employee ID#
Access end date
Your permission will be added to your BeaconCard within 24-48 hours after review.
For Access to doors within the Campus Center only: Fill out this form, have it signed by your department Director, and send it to Campus Center Administration in UL 330.
If the Campus Center approves the request, it will be submitted to OneCard Services, and your card will be ready within 24-48 hours.
OneCard Financial Coordinator
Director of OneCard Services