The Dean of Students Office is a central resource for students, staff, faculty, and families. We assist our community in navigating academic, personal, and social challenges through support, advocacy, and accountability.
Services at a Glance
- Provide “problem-solving” services for undergraduate, graduate, and non-matriculated students that help them address concerns either through direct services offered through the Dean of Students Office or by referral to an appropriate department on campus
- Assistance in personal or family emergencies that impact a student’s education at the university
- Assist students to find answers to questions surrounding various academic and non-academic concerns and to help navigate our policies and procedures
- Advocacy for victims in situations including but not limited to violence, harassment, and sexual assault
- Oversight of the Student Conduct process
- Complete Dean’s Certifications and disciplinary clearance forms required by students looking to transfer or to attend graduate, law, medical, and professional school or for employment opportunities.
Our staff is bound by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). When a student reaches the age of 18, or begins attending a post-secondary institution regardless of age, FERPA rights transfer to the student. Therefore, with the exception of a crisis situation, the Dean of Students Office shares information about student concerns only on a need-to-know basis to the extent permitted by FERPA.
UMass Boston is committed to providing a safe and welcoming environment free of intimidation, harassment and sexual misconduct, which includes relationship violence, stalking, and sexual harassment. Such conduct is prohibited by federal law (Title IX) and by university policy.
If this is an emergency call 911
Contacts & Forms
Here, you will find a wealth of resources and information designed to assist students in their personal and academic journeys. Whether you need to refer a student for help, submit a notice of absence, or access general forms, we are here to help.
- Refer a Student to Our Office
- Notice of Absence Form
- Forms Page Including FERPA
- Contact Staff & Office Information