UMass Boston

Resources for Parents and Families


  • If this is an Emergency, please contact UMass Boston Police at 617.287.1212 or local police by dialing 911.

Popular Resources 

We help students and their families manage crises, life traumas, and other barriers that impede success. Our staff works to address the needs of students who struggle in such areas as psychological health, physical health, victimization, relationship issues, social adjustment, and academics through a variety of interventions, referrals, and follow up services. We strive for a culture of caring on campus.

Concerned about your student?
There are many resources available to students who may be struggling, including counseling, tutoring, and many more. You can direct your student to review these resources on UMass Boston’s Resources4U website. If you are experiencing an emergency, always call 911.

Need assistance helping your student with an issue or navigating a process?
If you or your student are not sure what to do or where to turn, you can always contact the Dean of Students Office for guidance. We will either help you directly or connect you with a staff member in the appropriate office.

Resources for Students
UMass Boston is here to help students succeed.
Resources we have gathered for students.

Resources for Family & Friends
For many students, joining the UMass Boston community will be their first experience living away from home for a prolonged time. Resources for family and friends that can help you and your student better communicate about their life on campus. 


Our staff is bound by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). When a student reaches the age of 18, or begins attending a post-secondary institution regardless of age, FERPA rights transfer to the student. Therefore, with the exception of a crisis situation, the Dean of Students Office shares information about student concerns only on a need-to-know basis to the extent permitted by FERPA. There are three ways you may legally receive access to your student's education records:

  • Your student signs a FERPA release form granting you permission
  • You provide evidence that you claimed the student as a financial dependent on your most recent Federal income Tax form
  • Through a lawfully-issued subpoena or court order
Dean of Students Office
Campus Center, Floor 2

If this is an emergency call the UMass Boston Police at 617.287.7777