McCormack Institutes of International & Public Service
The John W McCormack School of Policy and Global Studies was founded in 1983 as the John W. McCormack Institute of Public Affairs as an applied public policy research center focusing on issues of immediate concern to Boston, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, the New England region, and by 1991 - the World. In 2010, the Institute further expanded to become the small, college-school that it is today convening nationally and internationally recognized policy studies education that fuses applied policy research and public service in a single mission via graduate training and advanced, undergraduate teaching and learning.
In addition to three academic departments and fourteen programs, the current School delivers its historical, educational mission through seven major outreach and research centers and institutes – the Massachusetts Office of Public Collaboration (MOPC), the Edward J. Collins Jr. Center, the John Joseph Moakley Chair of Peace and Reconciliation, the Center for Women and Politics in Public Policy (CWPPP), Center for Social Policy (CSP), the Center for Peace, Democracy, and Development (CPDD), the Center for Governance and Sustainability, and the Gerontology Institute (which includes the LeadingAge Center for Long-Term Service and Support, Osher LifeLong Learning Institute (OLLI), the Pension Action Center (PAC), and Center for Social and Demographic Research on Aging).
Like the Institute that gave birth to the School almost 40 years later, today’s conglomeration of McCormack centers and institutes, ergo The McCormack Institutes of International and Public Service (MIIPS), provide for students and faculty a bridge to a rich network of connections and external partnerships with nonprofits, public agencies, and community organizations that create meaningful intellectual and experiential exchanges in extensive community engagement and outreach on and off campus.
Centers & Institutes
- Center for Governance and Sustainability
Global scholars working in solidarity to produce and circulate research at the science-policy interface.
- Edward J. Collins Jr. Center for Public Management
Providing professional services to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of government.
- The John Joseph Moakley Distinguished Professor of Peace and Reconciliation
Reinforcing a commitment to nonviolent methods in the reconciliation process.
- Center for Women in Politics and Public Policy
Promoting women's political leadership through quality education and policy research.
- Center for Peace, Democracy, and Development
Promoting conflict resolution, democracy, economic development, education, media, legal and judicial reform.
- Massachusetts Office of Public Collaboration
Facilitating collaboration and building capacity for conflict resolution and consensus building with government and across state sectors.
- Center for Social Policy
Dedicated to improving efficiency, effectiveness, governance, and accountability at all levels of government, with a particular focus on state and local government.
MIIPS Convenors/ Administrative Support
- Rita Kiki Edozie, Interim Dean and Professor of Global Governance and International Relations
- Christopher Graham, Manager, Student Success and Undergraduate Advising (and Multimedia Manager)
McCormack's Center and Institute Directors
- Stacy Vandeveer, Director, Center for Governance and Sustainability | 617.287.7263, email@example.com
- Darren Kew, Executive Director, Center for Peace, Democracy, and Development | 617.287.7428; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jan Mutchler, Director Gerontology Institute and Director, Center for Social and Demographic Research on Aging | 617.287.7321; email@example.com
- Susan R. Crandall, Director, Center for Social Policy | 617.287.5565; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Ward, Director, Edward J. Collins Jr. Center for Public Management | 617.287.4824; email@example.com
- Laurie Nsiah-Jefferson, Director, Center for Women in Public Policy | 617.287. 5554; LA.NsiahJefferson@umb.edu
- Padraig O'Malley, John Joseph Moakley Chair of Peace and Reconciliation | 617.291.1845; Padraig.OMalley@umb.edu
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Marc Cohen, Director, LeadingAge LTSS Center | 617.287.7306; email@example.com
- Susan Jeghelian, Executive Director, Massachusetts Office of Public Collaboration| | 617.287.4047; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Madhawa Palihapitiya, Associate Director, Massachusetts Office of Public Collaboration | 617.287.4036; email@example.com
- James (Jim) Hermelbracht, Director, Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) | 617.287. 7090; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anna-Marie Tabor, Director and Managing Attorney, Pension Action Center | 617.287.7332; AnnaMarie.Tabor@umb.edu
- Rebecca Herst, Director, Sustainable Solutions Lab | 617.297.6630; email@example.com