|Course Number||Course Title||Credits|
|BIOCHM 383O +384S||Biochemistry Lecture I & II||6|
|BIOCHM 385F+386S||Biochemistry Laboratory I & II||6|
|BIOL 111-112O||General Biology I & II||8|
|BIOL 212 (or 210)||Cell Biology (lecture) (or lecture & laboratory)||3 (4)|
|BIOL 254 (or 252)||Genetics (lecture) (or lecture & laboratory)||3 (4)|
|BIOL 372 (or 370)S||Molecular Biology (lecture) (or lecture & laboratory)||3 (4)|
|CHEM 115 & 117+116 & 118O||Chemical Principles lecture I & II + lab I & II||10|
|CHEM 251&252+255 & 256O||Organic Chemistry lecture I & II + lab I & II||10|
|CHEM 311F||Analytical Chemistry||4|
|CHEM 313F||Analytical Chemistry Laboratory||2|
|CHEM 312S||Physical Chemistry (lecture)||4|
|MATH [140O or145S ]+[141O or146F]||Calculus I & II||8|
|PHYSIC 113-114O||Fundamentals of Physics I & II||8|
|PHYSIC 181-182O||Physics Laboratory I & II||4|
- Students may substitute BIOL 210 for 212, BIOL 252 for 254 and BIOL 370 for 372 if they so desire.
- CHEM 115 & 117+116 & 118 courses were formerly numbered CHEM 103 and 104.
- CHEM 251 & 252+255 & 256 courses were formerly numbered CHEM 253 and 254.
- MATH 140+141 are traditional calculus courses courses; MATH 145+146 are designed for the life sciences. Students must pass a placement exam to enroll in these courses. These courses may be mixed: 140+141, 145+146, 140+146, 145+141.
- OOffered every semester and during the summer sessions. FOffered in the Fall semester. SOffered in the Spring semester.
A final GPA of 2.0 or better in select Biochemistry, Biology, and Chemistry courses is required for the Biochemistry BS degree.
BIOCHM 383-386 and a minimum of 15 additional credit hours of non-400 level Biochemistry/Biology/Chemistry courses must be completed at UMass Boston.
One of the Mathematics or Physics courses required for the major may be taken on a pass/fail basis. No Biochemistry, Biology, or Chemistry course required for the major may be taken on a pass/fail basis. Elective courses (including Biology and Chemistry courses) may be taken P/F.
Possible electives for qualified students (many other Biology and Chemistry courses are also pertinent):
- BIOCHM 471-472 Readings in Biochemistry I & II (1-3 credits each semester, repeatable)
- BIOCHM 480 Special Topics in Biochemistry (3 credits)
- BIOL 680/Chem 680 Physical Biochemistry (3 credits)
- BIOL 360 Bioinformatics (3 credits)
- BIOL 664 Computer Analysis of DNA & Protein Structure (3 credits)
- CHEM 361 Analytical Instrumentation (4 credits)
- CHEM 458 Medicinal Chemistry (3 credits)
- CHEM 681 Medical Biochemistry (4 credits)
A Biochemistry major may receive Honors if all of the following criteria are met:
- A minimal cumulative GPA of 3.0 in all UMass Boston courses
- A minimal cumulative GPA of 3.3 in all Biochemistry, Biology, and Chemistry courses
- Completion of BIOCHM 491 and/or 492 Directed Research I/II (1-6 credits, repetable, but only for a lifetime maximum of 6 credits each)
- The independent research project completed in Biochemistry 491 and/or 492 must be submitted through your research mentor to the Director of Biochemistry for final approval as a written thesis, and the research project must be presented at the Honors Colloquium.
ALTERNATIVE RESEARCH EXPERIENCE:
Students may alternatively/also enroll for research experience in:
- BIOL 478-479 Independent Study I & II (1-3 credits, for a maximum of 6 credits total)
- CHEM 481-482 Advanced Laboratory I & II (1-4 credits each semester, repeatable)
- CHEM 491 Senior Thesis (4 credits)
EXAMPLE COURSE SEQUENCE:
|Year 1||Fall||BIOL 111, CHEM 115+117, First Year Seminar, ENG 101||15 credits|
|Spring||BIOL 112, CHEM 116+118, MATH 140 or 145 (or lower level Math course),ENG 102||16 credits|
|Year 2||Fall||BIOL 212, CHEM 251 + 255, MATH 141 or 146, PHYSIC 113, PHYSIC 181||16 credits|
|Spring||BIOL 254, CHEM 252 + 256, PHYSICS 114, PHYSICS 182, Intermediate Seminar||15 credits|
|Year 3||Fall||BIOCHM 383, BIOCHM 385, CHEM 311 & 313, Distribution course||15 credits|
|Spring||BIOCHM 384, BIOCHM 386, CHEM 312, 2 Distribution courses||16 credits|
|Year 4||Fall||BIOCHM 491 (elective), Distribution courses, other electives||15 credits|
|Spring||BIOCHM 492 (elective), BIOL 372, Distribution courses||15 credits|
For more information see Dr. Jason Evans, Biochemistry Program Director (Chemistry, ISC-3410, firstname.lastname@example.org, 617-287-6149)