Study Away Frequently Asked Questions
Where do I start?
- Read through our website for a checklist to get started & steps to apply.
- Register your UMass Boston Abroad account & take the program match quiz to get programs that meet your preferences.
- Meet with an advisor in our office to go over the process, your questions & concerns, & program options.
- Meet with your academic advisor to go over which courses you need to stay on track.
- Talk with your loved ones about studying abroad & start a plan to reach your study away goals.
What are the eligibility requirements?
- Minimum 2.5 GPA, some programs may require a 2.75 or higher, see program brochure for requirements
- Good disciplinary standing
- Having completed one full semester at UMass Boston at the time of application
- Current UMass Boston student
Where can I study away? What are the programs available?
Almost anywhere in the world!
- Consider 3 Cs: curriculum, cost, climate, and when choosing among programs.
- Learn about the program options here. Be sure you learn what the differences are among:
- Direct Enroll
- UMass System Programs
- National Student Exchange Program
- These options have different financial and organizational requirements.
How long can I study away?
Study Abroad: As long as you fulfill the residence requirement at UMass Boston, as long as you like! For Undergraduates, you can transfer up to 90 credits, and study abroad credits are transfer credits. Program lengths are
- One semester, multiple semesters
- Academic year
- Summer, winter
National Student Exchange: You can study away for up to 1-year on an NSE program. You can apply for a second semester or year on an NSE once you return from your first NSE term.
How many credits will I get while studying away?
It depends how many courses you take abroad.
- Typical credits per term: Semester - 12 credits, summer - 6 credits, winter - 3 credits.
- You need to get C- or above to receive the credit from a study abroad program. National Student Exchange courses count towards UMass Boston GPA.
- The grades from abroad do not affect student’s GPA here. National Student Exchange courses do count towards UMass Boston residency and will affect your GPA at UMass Boston.
- You can see how the courses abroad will transfer using our Request for Prior Approval Form. For National Student Exchange, contact Michael.Mahan@umb.edu for course approvals.
- Courses will be transferred after the official transcript from abroad/NSE campus is received.
Can I take courses in my major?
Yes, you can take courses in your major and/or minor; electives are the easiest to transfer.
- Browse the course offerings of various programs abroad by area of studies.
- Consult your academic advisor.
- Get approval for transfer of credits before your departure.
Can I study abroad without knowing a foreign language?
Yes, since many of the programs abroad offer courses taught in English!
- Browse the course offerings of various programs abroad by creating an account here.
Is there a fee to study away?
Study Abroad Programs: There is a $250 mandatory study abroad fee due by the time you depart on your program abroad.
- This fee, along with UMass Boston required forms and documents will assure the following: maintenance of full-time UMass student status while on approved program abroad; WISER remains active; Financial aid can be applied to overseas program; pre-approval of courses toward the UMass degree program; transcript processing; credits will be interpreted and applied to the UMass transcript upon return. In addition, students are provided with ongoing advising throughout the process. Pre-departure orientations are offered the semester before studying abroad. All UMass Boston students are also automatically covered by UMass International Travel & Emergency Insurance while participating on an approved, overseas program. This fee is NON-REFUNDABLE.
National Student Exchange Program: There is a non-refundable application fee of $200, due at the time of application.
- This is an application fee and it is not refundable. Your NSE coordinator cannot submit a request for placement until the fee has been paid. No refund will be given whether or not you are placed, accept or decline your placement, or withdraw or become ineligible. If you reapply for NSE participation, you may incur an additional application fee.
Can I afford to study abroad?
You can’t afford not to study abroad! Studying abroad program pricing varies by program destination living expenses, program type, & length. You should explore the budget sections of each program, consult a financial aid advisor, & compare the program costs before applying.
- Choose among more affordable programs, e.g., Reciprocal Exchange Programs, you pay UMass Boston tuition
- Compare programs costs - living costs vary by location, other costs include the UMass Boston mandatory study abroad fee ($250), personal expenses, passport/visa costs, accommodation & meals, and ground transportation.
- Start early and seek multiple funding resources.
Can I get financial aid to study abroad?
Yes! You will need to check first how your financial aid will transfer to the different program types and terms. Some financial aid is only available in semesters & for reciprocal exchanges, others are available in every term.
Do I need a Student Visa to study abroad?
It depends. Some countries require a visa for the duration of your stay, others do not. Check these links for advise on how to find out if you need to apply for a visa after you are accepted to your program abroad.