Research Experiences for Undergraduates
- 2017 participants have been selected for this summer's REU program. The summer 2018 REU program will begin accepting applications in late fall 2017.
This program offers undergraduate students the opportunity to:
- Carry out an independent research project in biology.
- Work closely with a faculty advisor and research group.
- Develop laboratory skills.
- Explore issues of science ethics.
- Exchange ideas with students and faculty at weekly seminars.
- Participate in field trips in and around Boston Harbor.
- Take a field trip to the Nantucket Field Station.
This program runs from June 5 to August 11, 2017.
The campus is south of downtown on a peninsula extending into scenic Boston Harbor.
Participants receive $8,100 for the 10-week period, which includes a stipend of $5,500, plus a room and board allowance of $2,600. Students can also apply for reimbursement for travel expenses to and from Boston.
Applicants must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States and must be enrolling in college for the fall of 2017. Students who will graduate by June 2016 are not eligible to apply. Applicants should have completed at least one semester of college-level biology. Students who are from minority groups underrepresented in science and students from undergraduate colleges are specially encouraged to apply.
Research Topics (Subject to Change)
- Bacterial cell cycle and symbiosis
- Cell Signaling
- Control of gene regulation
- Marine microbial and ecosystem ecology
- Growth control in plants
- Evolution in the deep sea
- Control of cellular organization
- Genome organization and molecular evolution
- Molecular microbial ecology
- Developmental genetics in Zebrafish
- Biodiversity and ecoinformatics
- Organ regeneration in amphibians
- Computational and systems biology
- Probiotics and amphibian disease ecology
For more information or to apply, click here.