Each semester since Fall 2012, the Biology Department has also organized a special symposium with eminent guest speakers from a wide variety of fields to lecture on and discuss the many biological, economic and social aspects of sustainability.
The seminars take place during the fall and spring semesters on Fridays from 3:00-4:00 p.m. in ISC-3-3300.
- Fall 2017 Seminar Schedule
- Spring 2017 Seminar Schedule
- Fall 2016 Seminar Schedule
- Spring 2016 Seminar Schedule
- Fall 2015 Seminar Schedule
- Spring 2015 Seminar Schedule
- Fall 2014 Seminar Schedule
- Spring 2014 Seminar Schedule
- Fall 2013 Seminar Schedule
- Spring 2013 Seminar Schedule
- Fall 2012 Seminar Schedule
- Spring 2012 Schedule
Dimensions of Sustainability Symposia 2014-2017: Lecture Videos
The Dimensions of Sustainability Symposium Series has been generously supported by the Ruth and Fuad Safwat Enhancement Fund. Below are links to video clips recording these symposia since Spring semester 2014.
Fall 2017 Sustainability Symposium
- Keryn Gedan, George Washington University.
‘Marshes of the future: Plant communities in salt-affected coastal uplands’
Sergio Fagherazzi, Boston University.
‘Salt marsh collapse: NO Sea Level Rise required!’
Chris Field, SESYNC.
- Marshes on the move? Human and ecological roadblocks to tidal marsh migration’
Fall 2016 Sustainability Symposium
Moderator - Sarah T. Phillips, Boston University
- Richard Primack, Boston University
- Climate Change Comes to Thoreau's Concord: New Insights from Historical Data Sets and Experiments
- Steve Long, Harvard Forrest and Nothern Woodlands
- 1938: Impacts and Implications of New England's Once and Future Tropical Hurricane
- Peter Frumhoff, Union of Concerned Scientists
- Historical Obfuscation and Future Action: Fossil Fuel Companies' Responsibility for Climate Change
To view this event flyer, click here.
Spring 2016 Sustainability Symposium
Fall 2015 Sustainability Symposium
Fall 2015 Sustainability Symposium Powerpoints
Spring 2015 Sustainability Symposium
Winter 2014 Sustainability Symposium
Spring 2014 Sustainability Symposium
 [biology_on_nantucket] Biology on Nantucket