Institutional Review Board (IRB)
- 10/17/22: Fall 2022 Protocol Update to Kuali! Option to build your investigator protocol entirely online.
- 3/21/22: Kuali IRB Module is live!
- 6/10/21: Single Sign-On for CITI is live. Link your CITI account to UMass Boston ID so trainings display in Kuali.
- 1/21/19: Changes to the federal regulations for human research protections (revised Common Rule) in effect.
Kuali IRB is live as of March 21, 2022! All submissions and subsequent actions will be done online using Kuali. Click here for more information about Kuali IRB.
If you plan to conduct research involving human participants, the research must be reviewed and approved by the UMass Boston Institutional Review Board (IRB) before the study begins. The IRB is an independent ethics committee established to determine if human research studies follow the ethical principles and federal regulations for the protection of human participants. The IRB has the authority to approve, disapprove or require modifications of these studies. The IRB's primary goal is to protect the rights and welfare of human participants.
All PIs and research personnel must follow the requirements in the Investigator Manual (HRP-103).
Please visit the below pages for additional information:
- Applying to the IRB Start here for initial applications
- Managing an IRB Protocol
- Required Training
- Deadlines and Meetings
- Do You Need IRB Review?
Changes to the federal regulations for the Protection of Human Subjects (also known as the Common Rule) have been in effect since January 21, 2019. Download a summary of revisions to the Common Rule.
- Federalwide Assurance (FWA) #: 00004634; Expiration 10/16/2025
- IRB Registration #: 00000690
- IORG #: 0000405
Questions? Contact the IRB team. Please provide your IRB ID number and PI name so that we can best assist you.