Incoming International Exchange Students
Here you will find information relating to housing, financial documents, activities, semester dates, and how to choose classes.
Coming to UMass Boston on Exchange
If you are a matriculated student at one of our exchange partner institutions and you have been nominated and approved by your home institution to study abroad at UMass Boston, then you are at the right place. We look forward to your arrival.
- As an exchange student, you can study for one or two academic semesters depending on the specified agreement between your institution and UMass Boston.
- As an exchange student, that will enter the U.S. on a J-1 visa, the Department of State requires that you study full-time which is 12 credits (4 courses) for undergraduates, and 9 credits (3 courses) for graduate students.
- Exchange students have access to all services available to regular degree seeking students including library, student activities and discounts, and all other student centered services and activities.
- As an exchange student, your tuition and academic fees will be waived (unless the exchange agreement notes otherwise). Although your tuition and academic fees are waived there are other fees that each student are held responsible for. These mandatory student fees are approximately $800 per semester for undergraduates, and approximately $700 per semester for graduates. These fees are subject to change and might increase. The fees could be higher if the curriculum requires lab fees (see Bursar’s Office website for fees).
- As an exchange student, upon completion you will request a copy of your official transcript and inform the Registrar’s Office where to send the transcript or where to pick it up. The transcript will not automatically be sent to you. Our Office does not have authority to obtain your transcript without your written permission.
All exchange students must complete a UMass Boston Exchange Student Application in its entirety. This application is now online and the nominated students will be sent a link to apply online.
Instructions for Exchange Partners:
Please submit the nominations using this Nomination Sheet and emailing it to email@example.com. Once we receive the nominations we will confirm with you the student(s) nominations. After students are nominated by the home institution, the student will receive a link via email to the online application system. The nomination deadline is 15 days before the application deadline (see below).
- Nomination for Fall semester (Sept. to December) and Academic Year- (Sept. to May): from mid-February until March 15
- Nomination for Spring semester (January to May): from mid-September until October 15
Instructions for Exchange Students:
Once you are nominated, you will receive an email from us with the online application link sent to your email (submitted with your nomination). When you receive the email and the link, you can start the the online application. In the online application you will be asked to submit the following documents:
- A most recent official transcript(s), in English, of courses previously completed
- Proof of English Proficiency: Minimum TOEFL score of 79-80 (Internet-Based) or 213 (Computer-Based) for both Undergraduate and Graduate students; or IELTS score 6 or equivalent scores from J-Check/iTEP. For the specific scores required by UMass Boston departments and colleges, different than the one posted here, check here.
- Evidence of funding not older than 6 months ($1,500 per month X number of months of intended stay at UMass Boston) that may in the form of a scholarship award letter, or personal bank statement, or an affidavit of support from parents/sponsor accompanied by evidence of that individual’s ability to finance your studies.
- A copy of your Passport page (if available)
- Copies of any previous DS-2019s (if you have participated in an exchange program before)
Contact the Office of Global Programs:
Office of Global Programs Campus Center 2100
University of Massachusetts Boston,
100 Morrissey Boulevard, Boston, MA 02125
Please direct questions about the exchange program to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fall semester (Sept. to December) and Academic Year- (Sept. to May): April 1
- Spring semester (January to May) - November 1