UMass Boston

Business students walk in front of University Hall.
Academic & Career Engagement & Success Center

Student Referral Program

To increase students' chances of academic success, the Student Referral Program enables individuals (faculty, staff, and students themselves) to refer students to the Center for Academic Excellence for additional support and guidance. Referrals may be made at any point in the semester, though the sooner the student can meet with us, the better the chance for a positive outcome.

Who should be referred?

Any UMass Boston undergraduate student can be referred. If a faculty member has been unsuccessful in resolving an issue, they may refer students for one or more of the reasons listed below:

  • Personal issues affecting academics
  • Unresponsiveness to faculty email outreach
  • Study skills, writing skills, and organizational challenges
  • Low quiz / test grades
  • Frequent absences
  • ESL challenges

Is a student at risk of harming him/herself or others?

If the situation is urgent and life threatening, call the police:

If you are off campus, call 911
If you are on campus using a landline, call 911
If you are on campus using a cell phone, call 617.287.1212

If the situation is urgent but not life threatening, please follow the Distressed and Distressing student protocol. Contact the Dean of Students Office at 617.287.5899 or at

What do we do?

A staff member from the Center for Academic Excellence will meet with students, assess their needs, and develop a plan to enable them to succeed in the class at hand as well as to move on academically with the goal of successfully completing their degree at UMass Boston. We collaborate closely with faculty and often refer students to other resources on campus such as the Counseling Center.

Have you been referred? 

If you are a student who has been referred, you will receive an email and a phone call to get you connected with the right advisor or coach. There are many resources that you may find helpful, such as:

Distressed and Distressing (others) Student Protocol

Read More

Dean of Student Referrals

For students who have non-academic related concerns
Read More

Make a Student Referral

For students who have academic related concerns
Read More