Information for New Students
New Students & Families,
Welcome to UMass Boston, and welcome to University Health Services, your on-campus health center.
New Student To-Do List:
1. Visit the My Health Beacon Portal.
- This portal is a secure system that can be used to schedule and/or cancel appointments, send/receive messages from providers, upload immunization records, and view the status of immunization compliance.
2. Review your portal and update your information.
- Review the information on the home page of the portal. This provides important information about the portal and what you can use it for.
- Select the "Profile" tab to review your profile and make sure the information is correct and up-to-date. You can edit your phone number and choose your phone carrier. (By choosing your phone carrier, you are permitting UHS to send you text reminders of the appointments that you schedule with our office.)
3. Submit your immunization records and tuberculosis risk assessment.
- Please read through the Immunization Requirements carefully and be sure to submit your immunization records as soon as possible. Failure to submit this form will result in an administrative hold being placed on your WISER account.
- Students may be required to obtain Tuberculosis Testing 8 weeks after arriving in the United States.
4. Upload health insurance information on your health portal.
- On your health portal, click on the "Insurance Card" tab and upload a photo of the front and back of your insurance card in case you decide to seek services at UHS.
- If you are opting for school health insurance, you can wait to upload your card once you receive it.
5. Consent to Treat Minor Student Patient Form
- MA law requires the consent of the parent or guardian for medical care of minors if your dependent is enrolled at UMass Boston prior to their 18th birthday and you want any healthcare provided by University Health Services.
- To submit, you can mail it to our office or email it to UHS@umb.edu.
6. Review the mandatory health insurance.
- All students billed for the Student Health Insurance must either "confirm the enrollment" or "waive with comparable coverage" via WISER. Non-action by the deadline will result in enrollment by default.
7. Voices for Change web-based educational module.
- UMass Boston is committed to supporting the success and safety of all of our students. As part of our comprehensive approach to student well-being, UMass Boston requires all incoming students are required to complete web-based educational modules. Please note that you will receive an email when the modules are available to you.
If you are having technical issues with your health portal, you can connect with our My Health Beacon Portal support team.
If you need assistance with your WISER account or Microsoft Authenticator, please contact IT.