UMass Boston

Advanced Credits

At UMass Boston, we are committed to helping you build on your prior educational experiences. From dual enrollment credits taken in high school to AP or IB examinations, students are able to transfer in various forms of credit toward their degrees. Advanced credits not only allow students to fulfill various graduation requirements (saving you time and money), additional transfer credit can create space in your schedule that allows you to explore new academic interests and opportunities. 

Review our policies below to learn more about how you can take advantage of advanced credit.

Advanced Placement (AP)

Review the AP Credit Policy Chart to learn how your AP credits transfer into UMass Boston. In order to receive credit for your AP classes, you must request The College Board send official copies of your scores to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. Request this when you take the exam or go to The College Board website to request to send your scores. Use UMass Boston’s CEEB 3924.


Students are eligible to transfer in credit from Advanced Level and Advanced Subsidiary Level credits earned through Cambridge International Examinations. Review our A-Level Credit Policy Chart.

  • Advanced Subsidiary (AS) - 4 credits per subject - with minimum passing grade of D in the British System of Education.
  • Advanced Level (AL) - 6 credits per subject - with minimum grade for awarding credit is E in the British System of Education. 
  • Students who repeat subjects in both AS and AL level will only receive credits for either AS or AL, but not both.
  • Please submit official Certificates or have your high school make an official photocopy of the original by stamping the copy as official.  Provisional Statement of Results cannot be used. 

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Students are eligible to receive International Baccalaureate credit through the completion of the IB Program. Students may earn transfer credit for High Level (HL) exams with scores between 4-7. Current high school students should submit official transcripts of grades 9-11 and grade 12 in progress courses. Official IB results should also be sent directly by the testing authority to the UMass Boston Processing Center (see address information at the bottom of this page).

Review the International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit Policy Chart.

College Credit

Often referred to as dual enrollment or early college, college-level courses while taken in high school are eligible to transfer in for credit. 

To see how your credit might transfer into UMass Boston, review our general transfer credit policies.

You can even plan ahead and learn exactly how your credits transfer by utilizing our Transfer Credit Database called Transferology.

To receive credit for your college courses, make sure to send an official copy of your college transcript to UMass Boston. Transcripts may be sent electronically through services such as Parchment or National Student Clearinghouse (use the email if required). Official paper transcripts can be mailed to our processing center (see address information at the bottom of this page).

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

CLEP exams allow students to demonstrate their mastery of introductory college-level material and earn college credit. Review the CLEP equivalency chart to see how your CLEP exams transfer into UMass Boston. 

To receive CLEP credits, the exam must be taken prior to matriculation at the university. Matriculated students must obtain prior approval through the Registrar's Office before taking CLEP exams for credit.

Email electronic transcripts from Registrar's office to

Mail paper documents to:

UMass Boston
c/o Office of Undergraduate Admissions

100 Morrissey Blvd.
Boston, MA 02125