VoiceThread is an interactive multimedia tool that lets instructors and students add voice to their presentations and online communication. VoiceThread is available in all Blackboard courses and is free to use for UMass Boston faculty and students. VoiceThread can also be accessed directly at umb.voicethread.com with UMass Boston credentials.
- Watch a one-minute video explaining VoiceThread.
- Learn how to use the interactive tool in three simple steps with our VoiceThread Quick Start Guide.
JumpStart Your Learning Community
Visit the resources below to learn some easy ways to make your course more interactive with VoiceThread:
- Customize Your Photo Identity to establish your online presence.
- Narrate Your Syllabus
- Create Class Introductions
- Create Mini Narrated Lectures
- Create a Podcast
- Enable threaded commenting to turn your presentations into interactive discussion forums
VoiceThread Assignments / Projects
Put VoiceThread in the hands of your students by assigning them projects using the Assignment Builder feature. You can have students create their own VoiceThreads, comment on a VoiceThread you created, or watch a VoiceThread you created. For each VoiceThread assignment you create, a column is automatically added to your course’s Grade Center.
Paper Reviews and More!
VoiceThread can be a great way to give feedback on your students’ papers using the voice and video commenting features. In this way, VoiceThread can simulate a face-to-face workshop environment.
The steps to set up a paper review VoiceThread are as follows:
- Instructor: Set up a VoiceThread link in Blackboard.
- Student: Upload your paper as a PDF.
- Instructor: Review the student’s paper using voice or video commenting.
To learn about additional creative ways to use VoiceThread, please refer to the VoiceThread blog.
Ensuring Accessibility of all VoiceThreads
There are two ways to ensure that VoiceThread is accessible to all students.
- Closed Captioning with VoiceThread
- VoiceThread Universal: In order to be accessible to students who require the use of a screen reader, VoiceThread offers an HTML version with a simplified interface.
For more information on accessibility, visit the Accessibility at UMass Boston web page.