Culinary Adventures is an OLLI Special Interest Group (SIG) for those who share a mutual interest or curiosity about food and things culinary.
Culinary Adventures began with 20 OLLI members who formed a Food Group in fall 2009. Their goal was to learn something new about food while having a good time. Now there are 141 members, the name has changed to Culinary Adventures, and there have been more than 40 culinary-related events,
Group Planning and Coordination
The SIG has a four-person steering committee. Each month a different member of the committee takes responsibility for planning and coordinating an adventure on a particular culinary-related topic.
There is a mixture of monthly visits to ethnic restaurants, culinary-related talks, museum exhibits, tours, demonstrations, wine tastings, food banks, and classes. Here’s a sample:
- 2014: Joyful Garden Restaurant (Traditional Cantonese Style Chinese Banquet)
- Ristorante Villa Francesca (Italian Menu in Boston’s North End)
- Schlesinger Library at Radcliffe (Cookbooks: Talk and Tour)
- 2013: Lala Rokh Restaurant (Lunch: Persian Menu)
- Punjab Café (Lunch: Indian Menu)
- Greater Boston Food Bank (Volunteer Effort: Inspecting, Sorting and Packing Food Products)
- 2012: Le Petit Robert Bistro (Lunch: French Menu); Herbs & Spices (Lecture)
Membership and Attendance
Announcements of Culinary Adventures events come out monthly from the OLLI office. While the member list is large, 20-30 members typically attend each event. The week of the month and day vary, and events generally last about 2 ½ hours. Public transportation is almost always available. If not, car-pooling is arranged.
To learn more: Contact one of the members of the Steering Committee. They will be happy to talk with you.
- Kerry Manning (email@example.com)
- Pat Mulcahy (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Pat Leary (email@example.com)
- Virginia Costello, Head (firstname.lastname@example.org)
To join us: Contact the OLLI office at 617-287-7312 or at email@example.com.