Culinary Adventures is an OLLI Special Interest Group (SIG) for those who share a mutual interest or curiosity about food and things culinary.
Culinary Adventures began with 20 OLLI members who formed a Food Group in fall 2009. Their goal was to learn something new about food while having a good time. Now there are 226 members, the name has changed to Culinary Adventures, and there have been more than 50 culinary-related events,
Group Planning and Coordination
The SIG has a three-person steering committee. Each month a different member of the committee takes responsibility for planning and coordinating an adventure on a particular culinary-related topic.
There's a mixture of monthly visits to ethnic restaurants, culinary-related talks, museum exhibits, tours, demonstrations, wine tastings, food banks, and classes. Here’s a 2016 - 2017's venue sample:
* Simpson Springs * Tour the oldest independent bottling company in the US and local farmers market.
* A.D. Makepeace * Guided tour of the cranberry bog during harvest.
* Greater Boston Food Bank * Volunteer sorting food and boxing items.
* Townshend Restaurant * Contemporary American Bistro
* Himalayan Bistro * Himalayan
* Noodle Barn * Vietnamese & Thai
* Durgin Park * Good ole' comfort food
* Moldova * Eastern European
Membership and Attendance
Announcements of Culinary Adventures events come out monthly from the OLLI office. While the member list is large, 20-30 members typically attend each event. The week of the month and day vary, and events generally last about 2 ½ hours. Public transportation is almost always available. If not, car-pooling is arranged.
To learn more: Contact one of the members of the Steering Committee. They will be happy to talk with you.
- Pat Mulcahy (email@example.com)
- Pat Leary (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ellie Jones (email@example.com)
To join us: Contact the OLLI office at 617-287-7312 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.