Culinary Adventures is an OLLI Special Interest Group (SIG) for those who share a mutual interest or curiosity about food and things culinary.
Culinary Adventures began with 20 OLLI members who formed a Food Group in fall 2009. Their goal was to learn something new about food while having a good time. Now there are 141 members, the name has changed to Culinary Adventures, and there have been more than 40 culinary-related events,
Group Planning and Coordination
The SIG has a four-person steering committee. Each month a different member of the committee takes responsibility for planning and coordinating an adventure on a particular culinary-related topic.
There is a mixture of monthly visits to ethnic restaurants, culinary-related talks, museum exhibits, tours, demonstrations, wine tastings, food banks, and classes. Here’s a 2015 sample:
* The Farmhouse Restaurant ( Lunch: Farm to Table )
* Cooking class with Genevieve Ford ( Demonstration YMCA East Boston )
* Johnson & Wales University ( Tour and lunch at Mediterraneo on Federal Hill )
* The New Boston Public Market ( Tour market and lunch )
* Restaurant Laura ( Lunch: Portuguese and Cape Verdean )
* U-ACCESS Program ( Volunteer cooking, packing and basket donations for Thanksgiving and Christmas )
Membership and Attendance
Announcements of Culinary Adventures events come out monthly from the OLLI office. While the member list is large, 20-30 members typically attend each event. The week of the month and day vary, and events generally last about 2 ½ hours. Public transportation is almost always available. If not, car-pooling is arranged.
To learn more: Contact one of the members of the Steering Committee. They will be happy to talk with you.
- Pat Mulcahy (email@example.com)
- Pat Leary (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ellie Jones (email@example.com)
To join us: Contact the OLLI office at 617-287-7312 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.