Center for Statistical Computing
The Center for Statistical Computing (CSC) supports research at UMass Boston by providing expert statistical consulting to faculty, staff, and graduate students. Our dedicated team assists with methodological guidance, software selection, and offers comprehensive training workshops. Strengthen your research endeavors with our invaluable expertise and resources at CSC.
CSC offers basic statistical workshops in using statistical software including SPSS, SAS, Stata, Excel, R, and RStudio every semester and in applied statistics workshops during the Spring semester. These workshops are offered free of charge to members of the UMass Boston community, but due to limited space, we do ask that you register in advance. Please have a look at Basic Statistical Workshop Descriptions and Schedules (Spring 2023) and Applied Statistical Workshop Descriptions and Schedule (Spring 2023)for a list of the workshops currently being offered. We are planning to add workshops on more topics in the near future. More details about the workshops
Basic Statistical Workshops:
- Intro. to SAGE Campus (Feb. 01 | Feb. 24)
- SPSS I
- SPSS II
- SAS I
- SAS II
- Stata I
- Stata II
- RStudio with SAGE Campus
- Python with SAGE Campus
Applied Statistical Workshops:
- COVID-19 Data Analysis Using R
- Structural Equation Modeling I
- Structural Equation Modeling II
- Introduction to HLM (Mixed Models) using SPSS
- Sample Size Estimation and Power Calculation using SAS
- Missing Data Analysis using SAS & Stata
- Introduction to Statistical Learning using R
- Spatial Regression (R)
- Introduction to Time Series Analysis (R)
How to Register
Seats and handouts are limited. Please register in advance.
- Find the detailed workshop schedule above.
- Click the Zoom registration link under ‘Location / Zoom Meeting’.
- Fill up all information request and submit your registration.
- Join the workshop via the confirmation email.
For in-person workshops, please email Mr. Zihan Li at firstname.lastname@example.org for registration.
Statistical Consulting Services
The CSC provides advice on statistical problems arising in the preparation of studies, the analysis of data, and the interpretation of results. It also assists in the preparation of data analysis sections for inclusion in grant proposals and manuscript revisions.
CSC can provide help on statistical issues arising at any stage of the research process:
- Data management
- Sample size estimation and power calculation
- Data analysis and modeling
- Design of experiments
- Interpretation of results
- Preparation of reports
- Collaboration with faculty across the entire campus in grant and contract proposal writing leading to subsequent statistical analysis and publication
More Statistical Expertise
- Applied Probability
- Simultaneous Inference
- Scan and Spatial Statistics
- Linear and Nonlinear Modeling
- Longitudinal Modeling
- Survival Data Analysis
- Bayesian Statistics
- Hierarchical Linear Models
- Spatial Statistics
- Time Series
- Monte Carlo Methodology
- Structural Equation Modeling
CSC provides support in using statistical software such as SPSS, AMOS, SAS, Stata, Matlab, R, and WinBUGS. CSC provides programming support and training workshops.
Which statistical software is best for me?
Many people ask us which of these packages is the best, but there truly is no one best package for everyone. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Which one is right for you really depends on the analyses you want to do, as well as your statistical and programming background. Please feel free to contact Jie Chen at email@example.com to discuss the best software for your situation.
How to Obtain Statistical Consulting Services
You can make an appointment by sending an email to one of our staff.
Jie Chen, Ph.D. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Zihan Li (email@example.com)