Center for Statistical Computing
The Center for Statistical Computing (CSC) is a professional service and research unit supported by the Office of Graduate Studies at UMass Boston. CSC offers comprehensive support for research, training, and consulting in data science to faculty, staff, and graduate students through one-on-one consultations and training workshops.
Types of Statistical Consulting Services:
CSC offers guidance on statistical challenges throughout the research process, including study preparation, data analysis, and result interpretation. It also assists in the preparation of data analysis sections for inclusion in grant preparation, such as writing analysis sections of grants, sample size planning, development of research-specific aims and hypotheses, and designing statistical approaches to research aims. It also assists with manuscript revisions related to statistical issues. Assistance is available for statistical issues arising at any stage of the research process. Services offered by CSC include:
- Data management
- Sample size estimation and power calculation
- Data analysis and modeling
- Design of experiments
- Interpretation of results
- Preparation of reports
- Collaboration with faculty for grant and contract proposals, leading to subsequent statistical analysis and publications
Specialized statistical expertise in areas including:
- Applied Probability
- Statistical Learning
- Simultaneous Inference and Monte Carlo Methodology
- Scan and Spatial Statistics (Clustering Detection and Spatial Modeling)
- Linear and Nonlinear Modeling
- Hierarchical Linear Models
- Survival Data Analysis
- Bayesian Statistics
- Missing Data Analysis
- Time Series Analysis
- Event-Study Regressions
- Latent Variable Modeling (Confirmatory Factor Analysis, Structural Equation Modeling, Latent Class Modeling, etc.)
CSC provides support for using a range of statistical software, including SPSS, AMOS, SAS, Stata, Matlab, R, Python, and WinBUGs. We also offer programming support and training workshops. Please click here for more details about licensed software.
Choosing the Right Software:
Many people ask us which statistical software package is the best, but there is no one-size-fits-all answer. The choice depends on the analyses you want to perform, as well as your statistical and programming background. Feel free to contact our staff to discuss the best software for your specific situation.
CSC offers a variety of workshops, including those on statistical software (SPSS, SAS, Stata, Excel, R, and Python), and in applied statistics. These workshops are offered free of charge to members of the UMass Boston community, but due to limited space, we do ask that you register in advance. For more details about the workshops, please refer to our workshop descriptions and schedules:
Workshops in Using Statistical Software:
- SPSS I and SPSS II
- SAS I and SAS II
- Stata I and Stata II
- Statistical Analysis Using Excel
- An Introduction to R for Statistical Analysis
- Introduction to Python with SAGE Campus
- Introduction to the SAGE Campus
- Introduction to RStudio with SAGE Campus
Workshops in Applied Statistics:
- Structural Equation Modeling (AMOS & R)
- Introduction to HLM (Mixed Models) using SPSS
- Sample Size Estimation and Power Calculation using SAS
- Missing Data Analysis using SAS & Stata
- Introduction to Survival Data Analysis (Event History Analysis) using SPSS
- Spatial Regression (R)
- Introduction to Time Series Analysis (R)
- Event-Study Regression using R
- Propensity Score Analyses
- Introduction to Statistical Learning (R)
- Introduction to Practical Bayesian Modeling using WinBUGS
- COVID-19 Data Analysis Using R
How to Register
Seats and handouts are limited. Please register in advance.
- Find the detailed workshop schedule above.
- Click the 'In-Person Register' or 'Virtual Register' link under ‘Registration’.
- Fill up all information requests and submit your registration.
- Join the workshop via the confirmation email.
All Hybrid workshops will be held in the Green Lab on the upper level (UL) of Healey Library.
How to Obtain Statistical Consulting Services
To schedule an appointment for statistical consulting services, please get in touch with our staff.
Jie Chen, Ph.D. (email@example.com)
Zihan Li (firstname.lastname@example.org)