UMass Boston

English Language Program

ELP Frequently Asked Questions

Check the answers to some frequently asked questions about our English Language and University Preparation Program at UMass Boston.

How much does the program cost?

- General Tuition for regular semesters: $4,000 USD -Tuition cost for summer: $3,000 for 8 weeks - Estimated Cost of Living: $11,550 (rent, food, transport, books, gym membership, etc.) - Required Funds: $13,896

What does “Required Funds” mean?

In order to apply and process your I-20, you must be able to demonstrate the required funds through a bank statement. These required funds show that you have the money available to pay for the required costs of living and taking classes in Boston.

How do I apply to the program?

If you press “Apply Now” on the website, you will be brought to our program’s application.

When will acceptances be sent out?

Our program is designed as a three year (six semester) program. Summer enrollment does not count towards the semester maximum. If a student is pursuing a recommendation to undergraduate studies, they can spend anywhere between one and six semesters. Please keep in mind that it is not possible for a student starting the program in the Summer to get a recommendation to the undergraduate program.

What is the “Form I-20?”

- The I-20 is an immigration document that allows you to schedule an appointment with someone at the U.S. Embassy for a visa interview. You need this document to start the process of coming to the United States. - You can find more information about the I-20 through the country’s immigration website. Read more about What is the “Form I-20?”  »

When will I get my I-20?

- After you apply and are conditionally accepted to our program, we will send you a link to have you apply for your I-20 through the Office of Global Programs. -After applying for your I-20, the office will process and contact you with any issues regarding your application. If everything is in order, your I-20 will be sent to you. *Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, I-20’s will be sent electronically, though email. We do not know if this practice will remain after the pandemic.*

How do I pay my bill?

- UMass bills are paid through our student portal, WISER. - When you sign into WISER, using your UMass Boston credentials and click “Finance and Financial Aid.” From there, click “Student Financial Center” and then “Payment Options.” You would then be able to view and pay your bill.

Does UMass Boston offer options for payment plans for tuition?

Yes. You could also sign up for a payment plan that would allow you to break up the tuition cost into smaller monthly payments. -The Bursar's Office offers a monthly payment plan for current semesters through Flywire. This is an interest-free way of paying tuition in equal monthly payments with a one-time non-refundable enrollment fee per semester. This non-refundable fee is charged by Flywire at time of enrollment. Read more about Does UMass Boston offer options for payment plans for tuition?  »

Can I work or volunteer while I am attending UMass Boston on an F1 student visa?

F-1 student visa holders may work on campus up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. However, work opportunities are very limited and should not be assumed or factored into your budget. Off-campus employment is not permitted for F-1 visa holders. Volunteer activities are permitted.

Do I qualify for the U.S. government’s federal financial aid if I am an international student?

No. F-1 students must submit documentation proving that they have the financial support to pay their tuition and do not qualify for the federal financial aid program.

Are any immunizations required? If so, what are they?

Yes, immunizations are required to study at UMass Boston. You can learn which ones at - You should plan to update yours and/or bring documentation, or be prepared to obtain them as soon as you arrive in Boston. - You can also obtain immunizations at the UMass Boston Health Clinic, but unless you have adequate insurance or UMass Boston Student coverage, you will be responsible for payment. Read more about Are any immunizations required? If so, what are they?  »