UMass Boston is pleased to offer all students, faculty, and staff 50 GB of email storage, 1 TB (1,000 GB) of file storage with sharing and collaboration features, office apps online, and a free copy of Microsoft Office.
Free Microsoft Office for Students
Students can download Microsoft office and use it on up to five devices as long as they are active UMass Boston students. Visit installation instructions.
Claiming your account
New students, faculty, and staff members should claim their accounts to get started. This process will tell you your email address and allow you to set up security questions and set your initial password.
Changing your password
If you forget your password, you can use your security questions to reset it at our Password Management page.
Note: every time you change your password, be sure to update any devices, such as your phone, that have it stored, or you could lock your account locked out. See Avoiding Account Lockouts.
Accessing your account
You can access your UMass Boston email, OneDrive storage, and Office apps online via the web at webmail.umb.edu.
Account access after leaving UMass Boston
Students keep their UMass Boston email account and Office 365 privileges for two years after leaving the University. If you graduated, though, you may request an Alumni Forward.
Staff generally lose privileges immediately upon leaving. However, retirees may keep their privileges upon request. Please contact the IT Service Desk.
If your account is scheduled for deletion, you can follow our brief guide to Migrate your data from UMass Boston to another provider.
Frequently Asked Questions
For answers to many frequently asked questions (FAQ), please see our Frequently Asked Questions.
For introductory lessons on using the features of Office 365, including OneDrive sharing and office apps online, visit:
Some applicable information at the Office 365 Training Center include:
- Office 365 Infographics & Cheat Sheets
- Protect and Recover Files
- Store, sync, and share your work files
To set up email on your computer or mobile device, visit:
- Email setup help wizard
- How to configure your mobile device
- Outlook web app help
- Forward email messages to another account
Microsoft Teams is a collaboration app that helps your team stay organized and have conversations – all in one place. Learn more!
OneDrive for Business
- Learn to use OneDrive for Business, including permissions and sharing
- Learn to set up and use OneDrive Sync
More answers to more questions
You can search Microsoft's Office support knowledgebase using the search box.
As always, if you need additional information, contact the IT Service Desk at 617.287.5220 or at ITServicedesk@umb.edu.
Other Resources (Older versions of software)
- Configure Apple Mail for the Mac
- Set up a new profile (Outlook 2011 for the Mac on campus) 1.3 MB PDF
- Configure LDAP (Mac Outlook 2011) 298 KB PDF
- Configure Outlook for Windows (On Campus) [pdf]
- Configure Outlook for Windows (Manual or Off Campus) [pdf]
- Importing a PST (archive) file Windows - Office 2010 and 2007 [pdf]
- iPhone/iPad Setup (automatic) On Campus [pdf]
- iPhone/iPad Setup - manual or Off Campus [pdf]