Email for Students - First Login
UMass Boston provides you with email (with 50 GB of storage), calendar, Microsoft Office apps (web based and on your computer or iPad), and 1,000 GB (1 TB) of document storage for you to use as long as you are an active student. In addition, your campus user ID and password provide access to WISER, Blackboard, campus Wifi, and more. This page will get you started in just a few easy steps! : )
- Your campus user ID and email address will be sent to your personal email address if you provided it to us, or to your home via U.S. postal mail. This will also contain a link to our Account Claiming web page, which will allow you to set up your security questions and password. Be sure to create a good password - see our password security page for tips on creating a good password.
Note: when setting up your challenge questions, do not use answers people could find out on the internet: for instance, don't use your pet's name or your favorite flavor of ice cream if your Facebook page says "here is a picture of me and my dog Spike enjoying our favorite ice cream - pistachio!"
- Go to webmail.umb.edu and log in with your full UMass Boston email address (ending in @umb.edu) and your new password.
- If you get the message:
Something went wrong. :-(
The most likely reason is that your mailbox has not been created yet. Please try again in an hour. You will still be able to use your campus user ID and password to access WISER and other services.
- After logging into webmail, you will be prompted to select the language and time zone for the account. The time zone for Boston is GMT–05:00 Eastern Standard Time (US and Canada). Save your choices and you will be taken to your inbox.
- Remember to sign out when you're done by choosing "Sign out" from the menu that appears when you click your name. (Always log out of WISER, Blackboard, etc., when you have finished, as well, to protect your privacy.)
- For an introduction to Office 365 webmail and its features, see Get started with Office 365 Education (support.office.com).
- You can use a mail program on your computer or mobile device to check your mail, see one of these guides from Microsoft for details.
- If you would like to download Microsoft Office, see our Microsoft Office discounts for students page.
- You can use Microsoft Office web apps or download a copy of Microsoft office for your Mac or PC (download instructions).
If you need further help, please contact the IT Service Desk.